Man, It's Like an Itch You Can't Stop Scratching!!!

Info, pictures, advice...
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Man, It's Like an Itch You Can't Stop Scratching!!!

Post by robhic »

Just bought and received P-64 #4 today!!! Got this one from Classic Firearms and it's a beauty! Very little wear at tip of muzzle and a bit of wear at extreme rear of frame from slide wear. But it's a 1975 vintage and the guy with the FFL that received it for me is a gunsmith and friend. I ordered the Wolffe 17# hammer spring and brought it with me. My boy is a BEAST! We changed the springs with him compressing the hammer-spring assembly BY HAND - no vice, pliers, nothing - and I did paperclip duty. We did the spring after he pulled that horrendous DA original trigger rapidly at full, original pull weight and said it was so-so. I said he was intentionally showing off! :mrgreen: We then put in the new 17# spring and wiped it down. Now, my income tax refund check is GONE so #4 is gonna be # LAST. But I got no place to lock up any more so this should do. My 2 grand dudes are promised 2 they've already selected (we need to get to the range!!!) and the other 2 (they don't know about #4....) are MINE!!! I think I've learned to stop scratching that itch.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
snailman153624

Re: Man, It's Like an Itch You Can't Stop Scratching!!!

Post by snailman153624 »

Just remember to teach them proper safety. The firing pin on these is not restrained when the trigger isn't pulled, meaning dropping it on the hammer (or just dropping the hammer) while the safety is off will probably cause it to fire. There have been a few incidents of folks on this site indicating an AD (accidental discharge) due to snagging the hammer while putting it in a holster, or dropping it. IIRC, in every instance the individual was carrying it with a round chambered, and the safety OFF.

Drop/hammer safety is the main reason I don't suggest anyone carry these with safety OFF.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

snailman153624 wrote:Just remember to teach them proper safety. The firing pin on these is not restrained when the trigger isn't pulled ... Drop/hammer safety is the main reason I don't suggest anyone carry these with safety OFF.
Those are good points and I've stressed SAFETY FIRST since the get-go. I always make the youngest (13) recite the "4 Rules" periodically and the older one (20) is looking toward a LEO career so I don't worry much about him, he's been drilled for a while. :mrgreen:

But as to the drop-issue. Dropping is one thing and, yes, I can see where that could be a disaster. But as far as something catching the hammer or pulling the trigger accidentally, do you really think that a problem? Well, yeah, I KNOW it's a problem but that trigger, even at the lowered weight, seems awfully hard to pull accidentally if you're paying even the slightest attention. I would not re-holster the gun once fired without de-cocking for sure. Nor would I holster the gun in SA for ANY reason. DA seems like almost its own sort of "semi-safety". Do you really think it THAT dangerous under the circumstances I list here when using a GOOD holster? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

OK, OK you win! With my Glock pistols, drop-safe and double AND triple the round capacity these P-64s will be fun/range guns. If ever carried, they'll be without a round in the chamber and safety 'ON' uncocked. I might keep 'em handy just "in case" but, again, not condition 1. Thank you for convincing me and I WILL be passing this along to the granddudes (not that they'll be carrying, yet...).

AND BTW...: I had the guy at the range measure trigger-pull weight. Like most others, even with the 17# Wolffe trigger spring installed, his gauge didn't go beyond 12-13 lbs in DA mode. SA gave around 3-4 lbs. just for knowing.
- Robert

Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I do carry mine with one in the chamber but with the safety on.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Curly1 wrote:I do carry mine with one in the chamber but with the safety on.
I'm still a-thinkin' on all this. :?: I suppose it's a possibility, but with the extra step of taking it off 'safe' and have 6 rounds vs. no need to remove a safety and having 10-11 or 15-16 rounds, I don't really know why I'd go that direction....

But, again, I do appreciate your convincing me to alter my thinking! :hi:
- Robert

Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

For carry I would stick with the Glock unless you need something smaller on occasion use the P64
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Curly1 wrote:For carry I would stick with the Glock unless you need something smaller on occasion use the P64
You read my mind! STOP THAT!!! :mrgreen: Seriously, I think having it handy, as I earlier stated, "just in case" would be ideal. Have it somewhere where it might become necessity and/or where I could grab it if needed but not in a huge hurry would be a good use. After I school the granddudes, I can just hear "My grandpaw got me a shirt. Mine got me a video game. What did your grandpaw get you?" "Mine got me a Polish military surplus 9mm pistol!!!" "WHOOAAAA!!! He's cool!!!" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
- Robert

Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Bedside piece or just carry around the homestead.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary