First time at the range

Info, pictures, advice...
whitelightning777

First time at the range

Post by whitelightning777 »

I just got my gun to the range today, fired 5 Hornady critical defense rounds + 50 rounds of cheap blazer ball ammo.

The double action is unusable, but the single action is great. Pulling back the hammer is no big deal. I have the Wolf Spring packs and I have to install them. The gun is correctly sighted in dead on & it is indeed very accurate. As others have reported, it does have some kick, very snappy. After 55 rounds fired, I had enough.

Since I have to qualify this Sunday (not with a P64) so I switched guns and carried on.

This is also my first post on the forum.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: First time at the range

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

You'll be very pleased after you get rid of that horrid hammer spring! I can't imagine why anyone would make a trigger so hard to pull but reducing it is a great option. I went with the 17# Wolff spring and it makes a world of difference. You won't be sorry no matter which one you choose. And, again, welcome!
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
whitelightning777

Post by whitelightning777 »

Does the 17 lb firing spring affect reliability? I heard that you should get the combo pack and use the 18 lb spring instead. What is the difference between both in terms of feel? :?:
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

whitelightning777 wrote:Does the 17 lb firing spring affect reliability? I heard that you should get the combo pack and use the 18 lb spring instead. What is the difference between both in terms of feel? :?:
I can't comment on anything other than the 17# spring as that is what I changed to. I read some folks had problems with the mags coming loose at 17# but my 3 had no such issues. The 17# doesn't make the first, DA pull all that light. It's still a little stiff but you'll notice it in the followup SA shots. Nice.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
HassoBoxhead

Post by HassoBoxhead »

The Wolff springs, in my opinion, make the DA pull about the same as my 1962 P38, so it's not a big deal to me. Understand it's still stiff in comparison to others, just wasn't as bad as I had anticipated...maybe I'm just used to the P38, who knows.