First Range Trip (Maiden Voyage)

Info, pictures, advice...
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

First Range Trip (Maiden Voyage)

Post by robhic »

Took my one functioning P-64 out Thursday while awaiting Norm's spring to arrive to fix my other pistol. Like many others I figured commie-bloc pistol should be good with commie-bloc ammo (Wolf). I brought some Wolf steel-cased, some PPU brass HP 95gr and some Hornady 95gr XTP in HP. All 3 variations of ammunition performed perfectly.

Gun was cleaned (scrupulously) beforehand and it ran perfectly. Good-shooting little pistol. I DO plan to change that horrid hammer spring that requires super-human hand strength to fire, but shooting all in SA I can say I am very pleased with this gun. Second one is now fixed and I will ring it out next week. Hopefully it will perform equally well! Just for fun I looked at the AIM Surplus Ammo site where I purchased these guns and noticed they aren't being advertised anymore. Wonder if they've sold out?

QUESTION: After shooting about 50 rounds I noticed the web of my right hand was bleeding. Not cut but more like abraded by the pistol rubbing on my skin. :( Has anyone else noticed this? I had similar injury with my Bersa Thunder 380 at first. It has seemed to stop but I don't shoot it as much and leave it more for the grand dudes to shoot.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
snailman153624

Re: First Range Trip (Maiden Voyage)

Post by snailman153624 »

That's known as slide bite. The p64 has a very minimalist beaver tail and bring it's a compact pistol the grips are short. As a result people tend to grip them a little too high. When the slide cycles it's rubbing the top of the web in your hand.
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

That's probably from the snappy recoil of the pistol. Put a rubber grip sleeve like Hogue or Pachmayr, or even a bike's inner tube. I just use the inner tube and a Dr Scholls rubberized insert which I cut to fit the back/rear side of the pistol grip. It helps a lot.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

snailman153624 wrote:That's known as slide bite. The p64 has a very minimalist beaver tail and bring it's a compact pistol the grips are short. As a result people tend to grip them a little too high. When the slide cycles it's rubbing the top of the web in your hand.
No, I checked and the slide is clear of my hand. Looks more like the underside of the beavertail (in this case it's actually the top-most parts of the plastic grips) rubbing and abrading the skin. It wasn't cut - more worn or scraped.

My Bersa 380 is of a similar design and I noticed the same problem but this WAS from the underside of the aluminum frame/beavertail. Very smooth so I was surprised it would rub the skin. Maybe I held too tightly. I'm also thinking in the P-64's case, the seam where the two halves of the grips meet is right there. Maybe that is adding to the abrasiveness. I'm gonna get some light polish (like toothpaste!) and a Dremel to see if I can polish that area down REALLY smooth without ruining anything and see if that helps.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

gemini1 wrote:That's probably from the snappy recoil of the pistol. Put a rubber grip sleeve like Hogue or Pachmayr, or even a bike's inner tube. I just use the inner tube and a Dr Scholls rubberized insert which I cut to fit the back/rear side of the pistol grip. It helps a lot.
Now that's something to think about! Thanks for the idea. Maybe one of the grand dudes has an old bike inner tube I can pilfer from him. Now I won't have to look like Michael Jackson wearing my one glove!!! :mrgreen:
- Robert

gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

I felt that the first time I shot a couple of mags, used a Hogue Jr grip the range was selling and it fix the issue. I didn't like how the Hogue grip has this bump of both sides, making the grip a bit fat to the touch, so I replaced it with the inner tube that was suggested on this forum.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

gemini1 wrote:I felt that the first time I shot a couple of mags, used a Hogue Jr grip the range was selling and it fix the issue. I didn't like how the Hogue grip has this bump of both sides, making the grip a bit fat to the touch, so I replaced it with the inner tube that was suggested on this forum.
Again, good to know. Thanks! Actually now that I think about it, I have 2 slip-on rubber sleeves I tried on some Glocks but took off in favor of Talon granulated (sandpaper-type) grips. I might dig those suckers out and see if they'll fit the P-64. Hmmm.....

One thing I DID notice was that that exact spot was where the seam of the grips meet. AND ... they weren't perfectly even leaving a slight edge/ridge there. I tried to polish it down with a Dremel and toothpaste (toothpaste!!!) and messed up the plastic! You wouldn't think toothpaste would be that aggressive :shock: . I'm gonna hand-sand them and color with a Marks-A-Lot until the replacement grips I ordered arrive.
- Robert