hogue handall jr. grips constricting magwell

Info, pictures, advice...
vaxio

hogue handall jr. grips constricting magwell

Post by vaxio »

I recently installed some hogue handall jr grips on my p64 and found that it's preventing the magazine from sliding in. It's NOT from any sort of direct interference, in other words I don't visibly see any part of the grip getting trapped or blocking the magazine from sliding in. What I think it is from, is that the grips were so tight that they're constricting the plastic grips on the gun thus interfering with the magazine.

Anyone else have this issue? Prior to buying them, I found on here that a lot of people have these installed already and didn't seem to mention any issues.
dcsadmin

Re: hogue handall jr. grips constricting magwell

Post by dcsadmin »

I have one on my p-64 and have no issues. Did you put the Hogue in hot water before installing on the gun? This should loosen it up a little.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Yes I would guess the grips are being compressed just enough to give you a problem..
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
vaxio

Post by vaxio »

dcsadmin, I did but only stretched it out enough to get it on. I'm hoping they loosen up a bit after putting it on. Did you boil it, then sort of pre-stretch it before putting it on? I was worried about the water being left over and causing corrosion so I would stretch it myself by pulling on it in various directions when I pulled it out and then when it dried I would try slipping it up the grip with some windex. It took me forever and it fought the whole way.

should i take it off and then start over?
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

I bought one at the range, when I shot my P64 the first time. So I never did the hot water treatment. Never have any problem with inserting or dropping mags. I didn't like the swell on the mid section though, so I took it out after several range trip.
If you're having issues with it being too tight, why not get the regular size houge grip or a Pachmayr?
dcsadmin

Post by dcsadmin »

I put my Hogue grip in a coffee cup with h20 and put in the microwave 1, 2, 3 minutes to loosen the rubber up. Then put it on the p-64
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I have them on mine, love the swell on the sides of the grip. I have longish hands and the swell fills my hand there. I fought mine on without boiling/ hot water and have had no problems. Are you using the right size? I believe mine was for the Ruger SR9. I would think too small a size would cause your problem.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

vaxio wrote:I recently installed some hogue handall jr grips on my p64 and found that it's preventing the magazine from sliding in. It's NOT from any sort of direct interference, in other words I don't visibly see any part of the grip getting trapped or blocking the magazine from sliding in. What I think it is from, is that the grips were so tight that they're constricting the plastic grips on the gun thus interfering with the magazine.
Similar story but not from the Hogue grips. At the range last week and I had 4 mags and 2 P-64's. All 4 worked in 1 and 3 of the 4 worked in the other. I really was foolish in doing so, but I tapped the mag in forcefully in the one that was binding. :( First mistake. So, for some reason, the first round jammed and when I went to remove the mag it would NOT budge! Finished off my session with 3 mags and the 2nd pistol.

As I left, the guy behind the counter asked how the 2 P-64's shot. So I showed him the one I had taken the slide off and even then couldn't get the mag out of. He took a small screwdriver and loosened the grip screw a turn or so and popped the mag out!!! So, YES!, a bind of ANY sort can create havoc with these pistols it seems. The Handall sleeve (which I just installed yesterday on the 2 guns...) are TIGHT so I made extra sure the mags would drop easily in both pistols. They did. I can see how it might be cause for the problem you are experiencing. I matched and marked all grip panels AND magazines to the specific gun(s) so this shouldn't ever be a problem in the future.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke