FTF Double Action

Info, pictures, advice...
oscarlovel

FTF Double Action

Post by oscarlovel »

Finally got my P 64 out to the range yesterday. Shot both Hornady Critical Defense and Red Army. Sadly, every one of my four magazines, using either ammo resulted in failures to fire on the first round. Each first round would eventually fire on fourth or fifth trigger pull. I have installed the Wolff 20# recoil spring with 18# hammer spring and the supplied firing pin spring that came with the recoil spring. Any suggestions? Pistol had been thoroughly cleaned.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: FTF Double Action

Post by Weasel640 »

Welcome to the forum.

I would try a 19# Hammer Spring instead and see if that helps. This is why they sell the Hammer Spring in a multi-pack. Also check to make sure the Strut Washer is still on the Hammer Strut.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

That's weird. Is there a firing pin dimple on the primer on the first strike? shallow, like a lite strike? maybe your firing pin is worn out and needs replacement?
I also use the 18# hammer/20# recoil spring, and it fires the RWS, Silver Bear and Hornady CD rounds I've tested. Have also shot about 200 rounds of reloads with Tula primers on trimmed 9mm Luger brass.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

gemini1 wrote:That's weird. Is there a firing pin dimple on the primer on the first strike?
Not weird. Depending on the P-64, some have reported light strikes with the 17 and 18 pound Hammer Springs. Normally best to start with the more common, simpler solutions. Also he had switched the Firing Pin Spring so he would have seen any damage to the Firing Pin.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
oscarlovel

Post by oscarlovel »

Update. Ordered spring pack from Wolff. Tried 18, 19 & 20 lb. springs. None worked. Pulled out original spring that came with pistol, re-installed, and the pistol functions perfect in DA or SA. Heavier trigger pull, but at least it works. Checked function by priming several new cases with Winchester small pistol primers (no powder or projectile), then loading a round and trying DA. It was obvious from looking at the primers of the rounds that failed that I was getting light primer strikes.
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

I think maybe the firing pin is slightly worn/too short.