First P64

Info, pictures, advice...
makczak

First P64

Post by makczak »

Another Newbie
Greetings all. Been lurking too long. Finally climbed on board.
Thanks to all the contributors. Great support. And info
Ive had my first P64 (narrowing the field on a second) about 4 months now. Im hooked.
Only 400 rnds thru it so far. Steel, 94gr Monarch. No fails at all. Need to get JHP or CD of some kind for carry.
Recommendations?
My wife and I just passed our CHL here in TX. I got fairly confident in my range results with the p64. After many getting to know each other sessions. And the requisite spring work. I thought about qualifying with it.
But in a moment of better judgment and humility I opted for my CZ 82 instead. Right choice.
Wife uses modern pistols.
Been carrying around the house and shop. Figuring out the right holster and position etc. Perfect position for me is just behind right hip bone apex. Against and forward of belt loop. Very comfy all day long. Holster is a modified Uncle mike #10.
Mods: Cut off tag. Installed snap in trigger guard area to deep pistol riding a bit higher. And it kind of jumps securely into place past the snap. Got rid of the velcro on strap. Too slow and loud to detach. Installed a snap.
Also been messing with rubber coating the grips. Best thing I ever did to improve accuracy due to slipping problems.
I coated the grips with "Performix, Plasti-dip spray". 10 coats. Takes a day. Ready to use next day.
Also improved the mag foot. Reshaped the toe, rounded and well blended the radiuses all around. Then used the dipping process with Plastidip. This is one grippy little pistol now. Single hand shooting is actually possible for me now.
Try it. It is just amazing. No worries if you mess something up. It will peel off like a rubber glove if you need to start over.
The spray goes on ugly at first then drys and conforms perfectly to a smooth finish. One key is to be sure to spray around the inside edge of the grips. So there is not a place for peeling to start in use.
Make a small wood pedestal and double stick tape the grip halves to it to make it easy to spray around and under the edge.
The mag foot work is really necessary for the coating to hold up. You can coat it as is. but the skin will rupture if the sharp edges are hit or rubbed on a hard surface. The blending and coating totally change the comfort level. Even a two finger grip is comfortable and more secure if needed in a hurry.
Here are some pics of my rig.
I also did my first stripping and re bluing (Black) of the CZ. And rubber coated grips and mag foot, of course.
All for now,
Russ...
p.s. Still waiting on guidance on uploading images from my Mac. Per my first post.
Thanks.
craig

Re: First P64

Post by craig »

Welcome, I am looking forward to the photos. I know this is a P64 forum but I wouldn't mind seeing a photo of your refinished CZ82 also.
There is no free lunch