NEW PLASTIC GRIP SUPPLIER FOR THE P64

Info, pictures, advice...
gemini1

NEW PLASTIC GRIP SUPPLIER FOR THE P64

Post by gemini1 »

I got an email a few weeks back from David Tillander, he's a vendor/maker of custom plastic grips. He asked if I'd be interested to test fit a prototype grip he made for the P64. And obviously I said yes.
The grip came in the mail a couple of days later. I noticed right away that one side of the grip fits loosely on the gun's frame, while the other one is too tight and required a little filing to fit. Not too bad, considering its only a prototype. So after giving the details of the issues, he mentioned that the mold he used came from a beat up grip he got god knows where.
Since my original grip, though not as pristine looking, fits snugly on my pistol, I agreed to have
him use it to make a mold, this was a few days before Christmas.

Today I got my old grip back in the mail, plus a brand new one in white color, courtesy of David. I immediately disassembled the prototype grip, and installed the new one.
Though white is not my kind of color, I must say she's a beaut'

The new grips comes with a screw and washer, the nut is lock in place on the left side grip. I'm not sure on other guns, but on mine, the screw with the washer is a little short, and had to remove the washer. But I did a little filing/sanding on the back side of the grip, since
the two halves doesn't sit flush. There's a little gap in the middle and the black colored frame, can easily be seen against a white grip. Obviously not an issue if you get the dark colored ones. Anyway, after a few sanding, I got it to sit it flush and was able to tighten the screw with the washer, and everything was swell.

One particular difference on this grips. Notice that on the pic, the mag release is slightly visible. While the back side and front of the grip has retained its original length/dimension, the area where the mag release sits, is slightly curve or slanted(?). This allows for a quick mag release, without any hang ups. This to me is a plus, especially to those with big/fat fingers.

The grips goes for $21.00 with free shipping. For any other info. you can check out David's
or email him here dtillander@bellsouth.net
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: NEW PLASTIC GRIP SUPPLIER FOR THE P64

Post by Curly1 »

Sounds like they still need some more work for a perfect fit before they can go into production
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

Well, he made a mold out of my original grips, so that should help in the fitting dept.
craig

Post by craig »

Great review! Dave's website is also very interesting. Heck, for 21 bucks I'll take a flyer - just not in white.
There is no free lunch