Aim Surplus Hand Select P-64 Pics. How Did I do?

Info, pictures, advice...
OPCollector

Aim Surplus Hand Select P-64 Pics. How Did I do?

Post by OPCollector »

For my first purchase with my C & R license, I opted for the P-64. This was delivered to me Wednesday. I will be hitting the range Saturday.

Gun $259.95, Hand Select $10, Shipping $15.95. Total $285.90.

I was a little concerned about the condition of my pistol until I read a recent post on this very forum about a newly acquired P-64 with serious issues. Honestly... reading posts from happy P-64 owners receiving like-new, possibly unissued pistols just within the past few months had my hopes up for a similar condition pistol. Wishful thinking I know...

I'll leave it to you all to tell me If I got a good deal or not. The grip is smashed like it was put in a vice at some point. There is the typical holster wear and maybe some minor pitting in the finish. The bore looks good and I have every reason to believe this will be a good shooter. Range report to come Saturday afternoon.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Aim Surplus Hand Select P-64 Pics. How Did I do?

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum.

I think you paid on the high side.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
OPCollector

Post by OPCollector »

Curly1 wrote:I think you paid on the high side.
I agree. I paid a premium at Aim over others based on Aim's impeccable reputation. I may have to get in touch with them. If this pistol does not do well at the range it may have to go back.

Looking to find out if you folks are in agreement with me or if I am just being unrealistic.

Looking at the Gun I'd say I wouldn't give more than $230 at a gun show. Even if it does well at the range I won't be happy with it until I outfit it with a new set of grips.
craig

Post by craig »

Welcome!
I noticed That AIM is currently sold out of P64s. You may have gotten one of the last ones (from the bottom of the barrel, as the saying goes). The holster wear is about what you would expect, but the pits on the slide are not. It also would have been nice if at least one of the mags had a s/n that matched the s/n on the pistol. The grips on these guns are usually chipped-up but easily replaced.
There is no free lunch
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Send tham an email with pics and you displeasure, if they are out of them they may give you a partial refund.

You got nothing to lose
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
OPCollector

Post by OPCollector »

Hit the range today with the P-64. Managed a 5.5" group at 7 yards with a 50 round box of FMJ Brown Bear. Ran 10 mags with 5 rounds per mag. Only anomaly to speak of was the slide didn't lock back when the 4th or 5th Mag was empty. Ran the rest of the box with no issues to speak of.

I had hoped to keep it a little tighter though over all I am satisfied with the performance of the pistol.

My PA-63 misfired every other shot or so today. I drew the hammer back and all but one of 50 went off the second time around. I don't know if it was a bad box of ammo or if the PA-63 just does not like the Brown Bear ammo. I had only ever shot Prvi FMJ with it until today. Ran flawlessly and very accurately with the Prvi Ammo. Definitely a frustrating outing with the PA-63, felt more like a chore than anything.

One thing is for certain, the Brown Bear Ammo is a bit hotter than the Prvi Ammo. I didn't know what the "Blowback Bite" was until today.

This is my P-64 Target. 50 Rounds of Brown Bear at 7 yards. 5.5" Group.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Pretty good shootin IMO for defensive means at that range.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
frankmako

Post by frankmako »

i would ask for my $10.00 dollars back for the hand select. they must be at the last ones in stock. if this is a hand select model i would hate to see the others.
OPCollector

Post by OPCollector »

AIM made it right. They gave me the Pistol at their current Grade 2 P-64 price. The Grade 2 price was $219.95 with one mag. Basically I got a Grade 2 Pistol with 1 free mag. I was still a bit annoyed and disappointed so pushed them and they offered to take the gun back plus shipping both ways minus a 3% re-stock fee.

The gun performed well at the range this past Saturday so I opted to keep it. So... I am still in the market for a nice original P-64 and I have a nice shooting little project P-64 to toy with in the meantime.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Glad to hear you got some credit.

Looks like you got a good functioning one for CCW.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
OPCollector

Post by OPCollector »

Thanks for the moral support Curly1!
Curly1 wrote:Looks like you got a good functioning one for CCW
I was thinking the same thing though my shooting is a little more consistent with my PA-63. I may be still getting used to the sights. Shot an 8 inch group today, 20 Rounds at 7 yards with the P-64, not as good as last time. Shot a 6 inch group with the PA-63, 25 Rounds at 7 yards. Would have been a 4 inch group if not for a wild shot, high to the right. Shot horribly with the .40 Cal. PX4. 20 Rounds at 7 yards with a 9.5 inch group.

The P-64 functioned flawlessly and the PA-63 had two misfires, one with Brown Bear and one with Prvi FMJ. I made a point to recover the casing from a misfire to compare it to a casing from the P-64. It is obvious that P-64 firing pin is hitting a little harder.

The P-64 goes bang every time I pull the trigger. :D

Orange stick on is 2 inches wide. Was hoping to hit it a little more consistently today.