Letting down hammer with round chambered.

Info, pictures, advice...
txbiker

Letting down hammer with round chambered.

Post by txbiker »

Dont get on my case but I like to carry with my DA/SA pistols having one in the pipe and hammer down so first round is DA, remainder is SA. Just got my P64 back from gunsmith for sight work and found I cannot lower the hammer with a round in chamber. What could be causing this? :?:
txbiker
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Letting down hammer with round chambered.

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum.

So are you saying your decocker doesn't work?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
txbiker

Post by txbiker »

No, since I don't trust the decocker due to surprises over the years, I pull the hammer back the rest of the way and pull the trigger in and slowly release the hammer. I have had a few unintended firing using the decocker on some pistols.
chuck
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Test your decocker at the range and you should be good. I use my decocker all the time, but due to the safeties being brittle in some I manually lower the hammer when decocking.
txbiker

Post by txbiker »

I dont understand "manually lower the hammer when decocking". That is what I cant do and want someone to tell me if my P64 is right and I cannot lower the hammer the way I described it.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Use the decocker not the trigger and lower the hammer.
txbiker

Post by txbiker »

I tried that and the trigger is disconnected. Can you use the trigger to lower the hammer on yours?
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Are you saying that the decocker isn't letting the hammer drop? The trigger is disconnected in the safe position.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

So if you pull the trigger in SA the hammer doesn't drop???

It won't fire??
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
txbiker

Post by txbiker »

I think I found the problem. My decocker is so hard to use that I quit using it. After decocking, the trigger is disconnected per design. When I forced the decocker back to fire then my trigger was active again so I can use DA for the round in the chamber.
How hard is your decocker to use. I cant move mine with my thumb. It takes my hand strength to move it.
craig

Post by craig »

[quote="txbiker"]Dont get on my case but I like to carry with my DA/SA pistols having one in the pipe and hammer down so first round is DA, remainder is SA.

I don't see why anybody would get on your case for Condition 2 carry style, if you carried with an empty chamber then you would likely get criticism.
The decocker on my P64 was also very stiff when moving it from the safe position to fire,it improved somewhat with use and lubrication.
There is no free lunch
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

My decocker can be used with the thumb no problem.

Does the decocker work OK with the slide off?

Take a look at it's operation off the sllde and add some grease to the area of movement.

Also you can remove the decocker and see if the plunger needs some to be rounded out a bit.

You can search the forum for decocker problems it could be a couple of things.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
txbiker

Post by txbiker »

I am going to need instructions for removing the decocker. I have read them somewhere on the web but dont remember where. the metal looks pretty bad and beatup.
Thanks to everyone that sent info.
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

Check this video on how to: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4200

Also, just to be safe, make sure to use a big plastic bag or cover yourself/gun with a light material/blanket when working on your dis-assembly/re-assembly.

As suggested above, you can lightly file the pin that locks the decocker/safety. You can also, with a with a small round file, (I used one of my dremel tools), file the slot where the pin/detent locks. Just make sure to grind the area where the pin slides out from the slot, and grind it at an angle. But dont be to aggressive! I just sort of touch the area my dremel, and tested it till I was satisfied.

edit: Not sure how my response ended up as a new thread instead of being here on your thread OP, I hope you got read the info, on the how to video above.
txbiker

Post by txbiker »

I found that video and think I will be able to follow it and smooth the safety pin and the hole it fits into

Thanks