Recent purchase. Bad condition?

Info, pictures, advice...
Cloudystone

Recent purchase. Bad condition?

Post by Cloudystone »

Ordered a p64 from AIM Surplus and received it yesterday. I paid $10 for hand pick, expecting a gem-like looking as seen on websites and videos. But the condition is not as good as I expected. The gun was made in 1976. It has some wear on the slide. The major defect is that the bluing of the slide appears purple, indicating it has been decayed. The frame shows normal bluing. Inside the slide, there are several small damages near the ejector. One thing I don't understand is that the ejector is red. The muzzle is dirty with scratches. The bore seems shining but the rifle grooves seem shallow and the edges of grooves are not sharp. It costs me $259 + $10 handpick +$15 shipping+$25 transfer fee. I am disappointed by the condition of the gun at this price which can buy a new bersa 380. I think p64s are overpricednowadays. I understand it is risky to buy surplus firearms online, and won't try that again. I am new to p64. Anyone can tell me whether the condition of this p64 is really bad?
Attachments
image.jpg
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Recent purchase. Bad condition?

Post by Curly1 »

First off welcome to the forum.

Usually handpick is the best of the next 5 or so in the crate.

A plum slide is just how some of the properties of the metal reacted to the bluing solution and is not cause for alarm IMO it gives a gun character.

I have a Luger with a plum upper.

It looks pretty good to me on this side in your pic.

The damage in the slide could be during reassembly of the slide not going on correctly and it sprang forward hitting the back of the barrel. I have had that issue myself during reassembly but being aware of it make sure I have control at all times so it doesn't slam forward if it doesn't go on right

Maybe you can show some additional pics
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Cloudystone

Post by Cloudystone »

Thank you Curly1! Here are more pics. Under natural light, you can see the color more clearly.
Attachments
image.jpg
Cloudystone

Post by Cloudystone »

Why the ejector is red? Is that due to corrosion?
Attachments
image.jpg
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Cloudystone,
Welcome to the Brotherhood. I must say that your P-64 looks at least as good as mine does if not better. remember that most of these guns were issued at some point in time and the person it was issued to did NOT pay their own hard earned money for it which means that they may not / did not take care of it as if it was theirs. The damage sounds to me cosmetic and not dangerous but you may wish to take it to a gunsmith to see if there are any serious problems with it. I don't see any wear on the corners of the slide around the muzzle from holster wear at all.
Whenever I look at any of my milsurps and see dings, scratches and wear I always wish that the gun could talk to me and explain how / what / why / where they happened.
Before you discard this as "overpriced" go to the range and judge it after you have shot it and or carried it for any length of time. I think you will find they grow on you very quickly, especially after you experience the reliability and accuracy factor.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

And unless I miss my guess that is the slide lock lever. Why it is red I don't know. It appears to maybe have flaking on it? Is the coating a paint or some other finish? Perhaps the original was lost, they come loose pretty easy and was replaced with one from another gun.
Cloudystone

Post by Cloudystone »

Ketch an, Thank you for your replies!

Here is the pic of internal of the slide. You can see the corner on the left of the firing pin is broken and exposes shining metal.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Why the pic down the bore? Rifling looks good to me. As far as the chipped corner I am not sure. Calling all the more knowledgable bretheren, anybody got a better answer than mine?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

+1 bore looks good.

If this is a recent purchase from Aim give them a call and send them the pics of the slide stop and the slide gouge and see what their reaction is.

They may just offer to send you a new one with no costs to you especially if you haven't fired it.

If so you should check with your FFL to see if there is going to be more transfer fees to get them swapped around.

At the very least I would ask them to send you a replacement slide stop.
Are there matching marks to the slide marks on the chamber end of the barrel?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Cloudystone,
I forgot to answer one question that you asked in your first post. You asked if the condition is bad. In my opinion, which it and $2.00 will get you a cup of bad gas station coffee, no it is NOT in bad condition. In fact, at least the outside appears to be in rather good shape. Your grips appear to be in one pice and not beat to hell and the bluing seems to be also in good shape even if it is slightly plum, but as Curly stated, gives the gun character. How is the functioning? Does the slide move smoothly? How about the trigger, both in SA and DA (DA should be very stiff if stock, SA should be amazingly light and easy)? Many things to check here but from what I can see looks like you got a decent one except for that slide lock lever in which case I agree with Curly, see if they will replace it.
Cloudystone

Post by Cloudystone »

Thank you guys for your informative replies! The action seems smooth, as least after I lubricated it. I have not fired it yet but examined the feeding and extraction by pulling the slide with loaded mag in. It can feed and extract the unfired cartridges smoothly. The slide rests on the lock level. There is a wear on the chamber matching the chipped corner.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

That confirms my suspicion in my first post that the wear on the slide is from someone losing control of the slide during assembly or disassemble and it slams forward into the chamber when the slide didn't seat correctly.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Glad to hear everything seems to be working correctly. Did you check the slide lock lever as to what the coati g or flaking is? And I agree with Curly about seeing if Aim will replace it. Sounds like it should be ok to shoot. Curly if your out there what do you think? Or Dfunk or Poppabear? Shoot it or have it looked at?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

First I would see if AIM offers to replace with no cost to me.

If not then shoot it, if any problems go back to AIM again.

I think they will do right by you one way or the other with a replacement or a repair.

Let us know how you make out.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Cloudystone

Post by Cloudystone »

I have no idea how was the lever treated. Will email them the pics and call them monday.