Later Magazine in Early Pistol

Info, pictures, advice...
flyer92

Later Magazine in Early Pistol

Post by flyer92 »

Like a lot of folks, I recently purchased one of those nice P-64s from Aim Surplus, and am very pleased. Got a beautiful 1970 that looks almost new. I was also able to get a couple of NOS magazines from eBay, but they are the late version with the longer feeding lips. So...the obvious question, which I'm sure has been asked before is....can the later magazines be used in a 1970 P-64, or I am going to experience feeding problems? Don't want to have to start filing them back if I don't have to. Appreciate any advice...many thanks!
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Later Magazine in Early Pistol

Post by Curly1 »

Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
OHGUNNER

Post by OHGUNNER »

I am not familiar with the change. Could someone post photos of both types? My '75 pistol came with one matching mag and one mismatch. They are a little different. Followers look the same from the top, but are of different construction. The mag lips are also slightly different. The non-matching lips are just slightly shorter. Does that mean that it is older? Springs and bases are same-same. Have not fired the gun yet and can not post photos myself.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
flyer92

Post by flyer92 »

Thanks, Curly. I saw that post when I first researched this topic, but have seen other posts indicating that either magazine is compatible with pre-'72 P-64s. There is very limited info about this on the internet, and most gunsmiths in my area have no clue. Just trying to get a better idea of what people are experiencing out there.
Geep

Post by Geep »

I have a 1968 P64 that came with 2 mags, one old style and one new style. Both mags work perfect in my pistol.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5555
flyer92

Post by flyer92 »

Thanks, Geep...that's good news. Hope others have had the same experience!
flyer92

Post by flyer92 »

I FINALLY got to shoot my "new" P-64 that's been sitting around since October! Good news, is that both types of mags worked flawlessly, and with a variety of different ammo. Boy does my hand hurt, though...this little guy packs a punch! Just wanted to close the loop on this, and provide another practical data point for others with the same question. Happy holidays!
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Thanx for the update, yea they do sting a little. :)
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary