Marschal grips question

Info, pictures, advice...
finloq

Marschal grips question

Post by finloq »

For those of you who have these.
How much do they extend in width beyond the originals? I am planning on using my P64 for CCW.
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: Marschal grips question

Post by Hurryin' Hoosier »

Not enough to make any difference. I pocket-carry my P-64 from time to time and it has Marschal grips on it.

One (unsolicited) suggestion: If you're going to pocket-carry, bob the pinky extension off one of you magazines. Just grind it and sand it. It makes it lot easier to pocket and un-pocket your gun.
"I'm just a poor white man, trying to make my way in the world." - Officer Andy Renko, "Hill Street Blues"
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Or get two P-64s and put the grips on one. Then you can choose.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
finloq

Post by finloq »

Thanks Gents.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Here's some pics from his site.

http://marschalgrips.com/hires-p64/P64.HTM
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
drzarkov1

Post by drzarkov1 »

If you have small hands, the width of Marschal's grips may affect how quickly you are able to acquire the proper finger/trigger position.

I'm 6'2", 200##, but I have small hands--I wear a size small glove, and anything larger is just too large to be comfortable. When my first p-64 was delivered, it felt like it was custom made for my hand with its original flat-sided black plastic grips, which measure 26mm in width where gripped by the thumb and trigger finger, by my micrometer. The slab-sided p-64 is easily concealed, and it immediately became my go-to pistol for CCW. I was a happy man.

Not willing to leave well enough alone, I decided to dress up my p-64 with fancy Marschal grips, and after the usual 8-week wait I was delighted by what Dennis delivered to me---beautifully designed grips in superb, highly figured Bubinga wood, that fit the pistol perfectly. Trouble was, they didn't really fit me perfectly. No matter how much wishful thinking I indulged in---the grips looked so beautiful on the gun that, damn it, they had to fit me right---I was forced to conclude that they made the pistol slightly too wide for me. When I grabbed the gun quickly & instinctively as you would in an emergency, instead of the center of the first joint of my trigger finger falling squarely on the trigger as it should, it was the forward 1/3 of the joint that contacted the trigger, and I had the queasy sensation that if my finger squeezed the trigger the wrong way, it just might slip off. Mind you, I could correct the grip in a split second to get the right contact, but that's not something I wanted to be thinking about in a deadly emergency. I checked the Marschal grips with my mike, and they measured 29mm. Only 3mm wider, but with my small hands, they made a palpable difference. (FYI, there is no swelling or scalloping on the Marschal grips---they're 29mm from the bottom of the grips to the top.)

Another posting on this website lead me to Grips4U.net, which sells grips for the p-64 under the heading, "Polish." You can't really tell from their photos, but they looked like they might be slimmer than Marschal's. I ordered a set, and they arrived in, like, literally two days ---they're located in Illinois like me. Frankly they're not as sexy as Marschal's, but still very handsome in a more subdued French walnut, but with very finely cut checkering, and they also fit the gun perfectly. More important to my purposes, they fit my hand perfectly too, even slimmer than the original black plastic grips where it counts. They're built with a very slight palm swell, which mikes out at 29mm, but there's a pronounced scallop at the point where the thumb and trigger finger rest on either sides of the grips. They mike'd out at 25mm at that point, and now when I grab the pistol instinctively my trigger finger always comes to rest exactly where it should. Just above the thumb-and-trigger-finger scallop the grips again swell out to 29mm, which gives you the sensation of a very firm grip, as if the thumb and trigger finger are being directed to and held at just the right spot.

I immediately ordered additional sets for my other "user" p-64, and for my "house gun" cz-82. Again, perfectly satisfied.

I certainly am not criticizing Dennis Marschal. I never contacted him after I received his grips, so it's not as if he failed in any way to "make it right." And his grips are, truly, made to the highest levels of materials and craftsmanship. They are probably perfect for the average hand. And possibly if you have special needs and you made them known to Dennis, he could make grips to fit you.

Anyway, I've gone on too long. I hope this helps you. Any questions, just ask.
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

...here's a question...I have XL hands...how much you want for them Marschal grippys?
drzarkov1

Post by drzarkov1 »

I don't know if these Q&A's are allowed in this section, but...

The grips are in like new condition. I'd sell them to you for the same price Dennis is selling them, with prepaid priority mail (i.e., a $6 knockoff). The only difference is that you wouldn't have to wait 8 weeks for delivery.

These are the standard "short" grips. If you're interested, I'll send you photos.
finloq

Post by finloq »

drzarkov1 wrote:If you have small hands, the width of Marschal's grips may affect how quickly you are able to acquire the proper finger/trigger position.

I'm 6'2", 200##, but I have small hands--I wear a size small glove, and anything larger is just too large to be comfortable. When my first p-64 was delivered, it felt like it was custom made for my hand with its original flat-sided black plastic grips, which measure 26mm in width where gripped by the thumb and trigger finger, by my micrometer. The slab-sided p-64 is easily concealed, and it immediately became my go-to pistol for CCW. I was a happy man.

Not willing to leave well enough alone, I decided to dress up my p-64 with fancy Marschal grips, and after the usual 8-week wait I was delighted by what Dennis delivered to me---beautifully designed grips in superb, highly figured Bubinga wood, that fit the pistol perfectly. Trouble was, they didn't really fit me perfectly. No matter how much wishful thinking I indulged in---the grips looked so beautiful on the gun that, damn it, they had to fit me right---I was forced to conclude that they made the pistol slightly too wide for me. When I grabbed the gun quickly & instinctively as you would in an emergency, instead of the center of the first joint of my trigger finger falling squarely on the trigger as it should, it was the forward 1/3 of the joint that contacted the trigger, and I had the queasy sensation that if my finger squeezed the trigger the wrong way, it just might slip off. Mind you, I could correct the grip in a split second to get the right contact, but that's not something I wanted to be thinking about in a deadly emergency. I checked the Marschal grips with my mike, and they measured 29mm. Only 3mm wider, but with my small hands, they made a palpable difference. (FYI, there is no swelling or scalloping on the Marschal grips---they're 29mm from the bottom of the grips to the top.)

Another posting on this website lead me to Grips4U.net, which sells grips for the p-64 under the heading, "Polish." You can't really tell from their photos, but they looked like they might be slimmer than Marschal's. I ordered a set, and they arrived in, like, literally two days ---they're located in Illinois like me. Frankly they're not as sexy as Marschal's, but still very handsome in a more subdued French walnut, but with very finely cut checkering, and they also fit the gun perfectly. More important to my purposes, they fit my hand perfectly too, even slimmer than the original black plastic grips where it counts. They're built with a very slight palm swell, which mikes out at 29mm, but there's a pronounced scallop at the point where the thumb and trigger finger rest on either sides of the grips. They mike'd out at 25mm at that point, and now when I grab the pistol instinctively my trigger finger always comes to rest exactly where it should. Just above the thumb-and-trigger-finger scallop the grips again swell out to 29mm, which gives you the sensation of a very firm grip, as if the thumb and trigger finger are being directed to and held at just the right spot.

I immediately ordered additional sets for my other "user" p-64, and for my "house gun" cz-82. Again, perfectly satisfied.

I certainly am not criticizing Dennis Marschal. I never contacted him after I received his grips, so it's not as if he failed in any way to "make it right." And his grips are, truly, made to the highest levels of materials and craftsmanship. They are probably perfect for the average hand. And possibly if you have special needs and you made them known to Dennis, he could make grips to fit you.

Anyway, I've gone on too long. I hope this helps you. Any questions, just ask.
Well that is good to hear. I ordered from grips4u.net as well, because I didn't want to wait 8 weeks as this will be my carry gun.
I have small hands as well and stick to the single stack pistols for just that reason: 1911, Beretta 951, etc.