Doing all I can not to buy a second P64 ...

Info, pictures, advice...
BinaryBoris

Doing all I can not to buy a second P64 ...

Post by BinaryBoris »

First off hello everyone … first post to these forums.

I received my first P64 about 2 weeks ago from AIM and absolutely love it. The condition is exactly as advertised and I am currently trying my best not to order a second one.

This is a pistol I am seriously considering carrying instead of my Ruger LCP. It's more accurate, more sturdy, more reliable, and shoots a round with a little more punch than the .380.

Anyway, I know the first response is always going to be "do it!" … but what is the skinny on P64 availability? Have these been hard to get until recently? Also, what is the typical condition? Is it common to get P64s in such great condition?

Part of me says be happy with the excellent piece I now have, and the other part of me says buy a second now because you may not see them at this price and this condition for a while.

Thanks,
Boris

PS I recently recovered from Mosinitis (severe tendency to purchase Mosin Nagants). That's what a C&R license will do to you.
dcsadmin

Re: Doing all I can not to buy a second P64 ...

Post by dcsadmin »

There is no cure for mosinitis.... Welcome to the family......
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Boris.

Unlike Mosins there were not tens of millions of P64's made so they will dry up.

Yes there was a dry spell prior to what you see now and prices were around $100 less in years past.

The P83 Radom is in the same boat so if you want one of those get it now.

And with the ever increasing hostile climate of gun control in this country imports are always at risk of being banned.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
BinaryBoris

Post by BinaryBoris »

dcsadmin wrote:There is no cure for mosinitis.... Welcome to the family......
Thank you - and you are right! I "accidentally" bought a Type 53 from SOG a week ago as a minor project gun. The stock is nice and beat up but I think it will be fun to restore it a bit.
Curly1 wrote:Welcome to the forum Boris.

Unlike Mosins there were not tens of millions of P64's made so they will dry up.

Yes there was a dry spell prior to what you see now and prices were around $100 less in years past.

The P83 Radom is in the same boat so if you want one of those get it now.

And with the ever increasing hostile climate of gun control in this country imports are always at risk of being banned.
Very good point regarding production levels. You know, the main thing pushing me into getting a 2nd right now is the outstanding condition of the one I just received. I initially purchased this as a substitute for my EDC - and now I'm afraid of carrying it every day and scuffing it up! I mean, it would be nice to keep one as a good historical example, so to speak.

Maybe I should divert some of my ammunition purchasing funds towards something that will last a little longer…

Also I just picked up a P83 as well, although it's not in quite as good of shape as the P64.

There's just something I find almost attractive about the lines of the P64, and I'm not the type to stare lovingly at his guns. They just seem to have an interesting artistic quality to them. It's hard to explain.
BinaryBoris

Post by BinaryBoris »

What I'm balancing between now is a CZ82 from SOG or a second P64.

The CZ82 seems a tad overpriced (relatively speaking) at SOG, coming out to close to $310 delivered (w/ a C&R license).

Oh decisions decisions...
BinaryBoris

Post by BinaryBoris »

OK I've been debating this for 3 full days and I pulled the trigger. Below are pictures of the 1st P64 I received from AIM Surplus a little over a week ago. I don't think I've ever seen a 40+ year old firearm in this great of shape and it lives up to the "Excellent+" condition touted by AIM.

I also decided that it's quite likely that I (we) won't see a batch like these again for a long time … if ever. I'd rather drop the $275 today than regret not making the move years from now.

I'll post pictures of my first P64 in a different thread simply because I think she deserves it!
dcsadmin

Post by dcsadmin »

Look around you can get a cz-82 for less than $310. You will have to refinish the cz-82 some time in the future.
BinaryBoris

Post by BinaryBoris »

dcsadmin wrote:Look around you can get a cz-82 for less than $310. You will have to refinish the cz-82 some time in the future.
Thank you for the advice. I debated this one for a while and I'm glad to know that the $310 delivered was a little steep.

Well, with the $45 I "saved" getting a 2nd P64, I went ahead and popped for a 2nd P83. :|