New guy here

Info, pictures, advice...
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: New guy here

Post by Hurryin' Hoosier »

Re holsters, it all depends. Do you plan to pocket carry? If so, I highly recommend Robert Mika: http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/ . Great products and a great guy to deal with. :wink:
"I'm just a poor white man, trying to make my way in the world." - Officer Andy Renko, "Hill Street Blues"
Fiorina

Post by Fiorina »

Thanks for the holster input guys. Does anybody know what the deal is with my spring and detent for my safety that I talked about earlier? I'm wondering if I should try and source a new one?
garybok

Post by garybok »

Regarding the safety detent plunger and spring, I recently replaced mine and I agree: it's impossible to manipulate all those tiny parts if the spring and plunger aren't held together as one unit. Even then, you have to hold your mouth just right to get all the pieces lined up...

If you look closely at the plunger (or detent pin, or whatever you want to call it), one end is cone-shaped, but the other should be shaped like a cylinder, which is stepped down to a slightly smaller cylinder on the end. In my case, I had to crimp the end of the spring (just the very last coil) very slightly with a needle-nose pliers, to get it to grip that slightly smaller stud. You can't get the main body of the pin to fit into the spring, just the slightly smaller stud on the end. (If you somehow got the entire pin into the spring, then the spring would probably be stretched too big to fit into the hole in the slide that receives it.) Hope this helps, but I'm not sure I described it clearly. I may just be telling you stuff you already know.

The only reason you should need a new plunger (or pin) is if the cone-shaped end is rounded or uneven. If so, "laukart" on GunBroker offers them for just a few dollars. He also has the springs. Takes a few weeks for them to arrive from Poland, though.

Once you have it apart, while you're examining things, it probably makes sense to look at the decocker under a magnifying glass to be sure the indentations are relatively smooth. If it looks rough or broken, "jreed" has them on GunBroker for $35.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.
Fiorina

Post by Fiorina »

Thank you for the info. I actually thought about trying to crimp the end of the spring onto the cylinder end of the pin. But I was finally able to get it all together again. But let me tell you, without that piece connected, it was a bear!!
garybok

Post by garybok »

Don't know how you did it. You obviously have more patience (or more dexterity) than I do. Congratulations!
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Hurryin' Hoosier »

garybok wrote:Don't know how you did it. You obviously have more patience (or more dexterity) than I do. Congratulations!
Try replacing the safety on a Baretta Tomcat some time. :shock:
"I'm just a poor white man, trying to make my way in the world." - Officer Andy Renko, "Hill Street Blues"
Fiorina

Post by Fiorina »

It was so frustrating. The small detent pin kept falling out. Thank God I have a magnet attached to a pole to scan the ground or it would have been lost.
garybok

Post by garybok »

Yes, but just remember the immense sense of satisfaction you felt when it finally clicked into place...
Fiorina

Post by Fiorina »

garybok wrote:Yes, but just remember the immense sense of satisfaction you felt when it finally clicked into place...

It was VERY satisfying!

I just got back from the pistol range. My P64 was perfect. No problems of any kind, and surprisingly accurate for how short it is.