New guy here

Info, pictures, advice...
Fiorina

New guy here

Post by Fiorina »

Hello everyone. Just joined this forum, I'm expecting my P64 tomorrow or Monday. Bought one from Aim and a couple hundred rounds of silver bear. I've never owned a pistol like this before. Anything I should look for when I first get it?

I want this to be my new concealed carry pistol. Lately I've been carrying my Tokarev
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: New guy here

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum.

Before breaking down to clean and lube the first time any new handgun here is what I do.

Check the operation of the decocker or safety to ensure it is in working order and the gun is in a non firing condition when the safety or decocker is in use.

Do the pencil test to verify the firing pin is in working order and repeat using the decocker, if present. If the pencil jumps when using the decocker you have a problem.

Use snap caps if you have them to check feeding and extraction.

Show us some pics.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
wlockridge

Post by wlockridge »

Welcome Fiorina to the forum, lots of good people and info here, My advice here would be pretty much the same as Curly'1's so no sense repeating it so I'll just say welcome abroad.
Bill
Shoot first, Shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things and have six rounds of ammo, you'll have two thirds more than you need to prevail.
Fiorina

Post by Fiorina »

Wow. This pistol I just received looks totally unissued. It's perfect! Is there like a place online with an instruction book for this? I am having a hard time moving the safety off of red
Fiorina

Post by Fiorina »

Ok I got it, never mind. But what is the pencil test?
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Hurryin' Hoosier »

Fiorina wrote:Ok I got it, never mind. But what is the pencil test?
Hold the unloaded (I say again, unloaded) pistol muzzle-up, put a wood pencil - eraser down - all the way into the muzzle, and pull the trigger. If everything is working as it should the firing pin will hit the eraser and shoot the pencil out of the barrel.

Here's a source for a manual, by the way: http://stevespages.com/pdf/radom_p64.pdf
"I'm just a poor white man, trying to make my way in the world." - Officer Andy Renko, "Hill Street Blues"
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

And if the pencil jumps when using the decocker you have a problem.

I hold my palm about 6 inches over the barrel, using an unsharpend pencil, as some pistol pencil tests will fly out pretty far.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Fiorina

Post by Fiorina »

Awesome! Thanks guys. Just did the pencil test and all is well
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Hurryin' Hoosier »

Excellent! :wink:
"I'm just a poor white man, trying to make my way in the world." - Officer Andy Renko, "Hill Street Blues"
Fiorina

Post by Fiorina »

I should have held onto the pencil when I pulled the trigger. Almost hit the ceiling. I can't wait to shoot it. What is a good holster for concealed carry with this?
LantanaTX

Post by LantanaTX »

Fiorina wrote:I should have held onto the pencil when I pulled the trigger. Almost hit the ceiling. I can't wait to shoot it. What is a good holster for concealed carry with this?
It seems like anything made for the Walther PPK would work.
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

The US Gunleather one sold on this site is really nice and made for this particular firearm.
Fiorina

Post by Fiorina »

So I completely disassembled my slide and I got it put back together. But something is weird. In all the videos I'm watching, the spring and detent plunger for the safety seem to be joined together. Mine isn't. I couldn't fit the pin into the spring even if I tried. I'm guessing since it's free floating then that's why it's so difficult to turn my safety on and off. Where can I get a new one?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Fiorina wrote:I should have held onto the pencil when I pulled the trigger. Almost hit the ceiling. I can't wait to shoot it. What is a good holster for concealed carry with this?

That's why I suggested this in my previous post.

"I hold my palm about 6 inches over the barrel, using an unsharpend pencil, as some pistol pencil tests will fly out pretty far."
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I like the Remora line of IWB holsters.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary