My P-64 Arrived Today!

Info, pictures, advice...
LantanaTX

My P-64 Arrived Today!

Post by LantanaTX »

I picked up my P-64 from my FFL today! It is a 1972 bought from Classic Firearms. Wish I would have known about these back when you guys were buying unfired pristine guns. This one doesn't look like it got much action. the barrel is pristine and the feed ramp was still blued and I had to clean some cosmoline out of it. Classic Firearms has this on sale for $219.00 Their ad mentions that the second magazine would be sketchy and should just be considered "thrown in for free". However both the mags I received were in nice good condition. The bluing on the frame was perfect but there is holster wear on the slide. I am thinking of having this gun hard chromed so no big deal. Overall the gun, (and my FFL agreed) that the gun was in very nice condition, and really fit my hand perfectly.

I tried the DA trigger and Yes now understand what I read about it being stiff! I could pull it no problem but on a slow pull the gun started shaking in my hand. So as soon as I got it home I broke it down, and removed the main spring. While it was apart, I cleaned it thouroghly. There was cosmoline in the trigger action and on the main spring and a few other places. I installed a Wolf 17# main spring and a 22# recoil spring. The DA trigger is much improved and I can now do a slow pull while keeping the front sight on a target with no problem. SA is very sweet!!

while putting it all back together, I installed the wood grips I received from Grips4U.com These grips were very nice and arrived in two days! They are oil finished French Walnut and fit absolutely perfect. They came with new screws which are easier to use than the originals. The screw is a straight blade light the original but each side of the grips have a pressed in steel insert. On the side the screw goes into, the steel insert protects the wood. On the nut side the steel insert is threaded for the screw which makes installing them very easy. Also the back strap area of the grips have two steel pins that support the back of the grips and holds them together tightly. I highly recommend these. I also have these on my CZ and love them.

Also today I ordered the mag release that is sold on this sight. Now I have find some 9x18 and go fire this beauty!! I was at the big Fort Worth TX gun show and everyone was sold out of 9x18 except Hornady critical defense.

Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: My P-64 Arrived Today!

Post by Curly1 »

Nice looking pair, grips are sweet!
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Hurryin' Hoosier »

Nice P-64! If you do decide to have it hard-chromed, I highly recommend Mahovsky's Metalife. :wink:
"I'm just a poor white man, trying to make my way in the world." - Officer Andy Renko, "Hill Street Blues"
LantanaTX

Post by LantanaTX »

Hurryin' Hoosier wrote:Nice P-64! If you do decide to have it hard-chromed, I highly recommend Mahovsky's Metalife. :wink:
That is who I was thinking of but couldn't spell it in my first post. I have seen his work and he is probably the best out there and a good price. I saw this picture online which looks more 007'ish or I could just re-blue it for that no nonsense bada$$ look. Since this one is for concealed carry I thought the hard chrome would last longer. My gun seems to have seen a lot of holster time but barely looks like it was ever fired. The feed ramp shows no signs of use and the bluing on the ramp is perfect without a mark, while the outside has plenty of holster wear. Is this normal?

LantanaTX

Post by LantanaTX »

The UPS guy just dropped off a heavy box of ammo from Wideners.com so It looks like I will get to do some testing this weekend! I bought the Red Army 9x18 It was packeaged nicely in their Range Pack Box. Each of these boxes contains three nicely packed 50 round boxes with the rounds sorted in nice plastic trays. The stuff is supposed to be non corrosive and has that military look. maybe this is what milsurp looks like brand new. I have never shot this stuff before and will let you all know how it does.