IDPA with the P64

Info, pictures, advice...
Airpirate

IDPA with the P64

Post by Airpirate »

My local IDPA group is hosting a "BUG" (backup gun) match this week. I'm looking forward to using my P-64 in a competition environment that also loosely simulates real world use. The challenge will be to acquire the target with the P-64's almost invisible sites. Also, I tend to suffer from slide bite, so a preemptive band-aid will be in order. This gun is very accurate and one of my favorites, so it should be lots of fun. I'll report after.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
snailman153624

Re: IDPA with the P64

Post by snailman153624 »

That sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe just wear a leather glove to prevent the slide bite (if you haven't perfected your bite-defense grip yet).
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Looking forward to the AAR.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
Airpirate

Post by Airpirate »

After Action:
Disappointing. Because the Safety Officer insisted that the gun be in the "safe" condition, I had to start each string with it de-cocked. I usually shoot a Glock for IDPA, and I had trouble remembering to move the safety lever before shooting. Wasted a lot of time.

Another disappointment: The Ranger Officer asked if the LVE ammo was steel, and of course it is. No steel allowed at this range, so I ended up borrowing a G-26 to finish the match.

Lessons Learned: Practice a bunch more with the P-64 in "safe" mode. Also, I will reload a few hundred rounds with lead for the next IDPA "BUG" match. It was interesting to watch the others shoot with their backup gun. Many of us had trouble, because we just had not had much competition use with our carry gun. I felt a little better seeing some very good shooters struggling with this issue.

There were 27 shooters, and I ended up 12th overall. I plan on hitting the range more with the P-64 and trying again next time. Still really like this gun!

snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

I think you may have misunderstood what is meant by "steel" ammo. Yes, it's steel CASE, but the bullets themselves don't contain any steel.
Airpirate

Post by Airpirate »

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... ition-Data

Appreciate the feedback. The above link is my basis for assuming that LVE has steel in the bullet.

snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

That link suggests that the jacket may be magnetic. This is still far different from a steel-core bullet (like the Chinese milsurp ammo on that same page)...but good point.