New P64 owner, Saftey not working properly

Info, pictures, advice...
otb

New P64 owner, Saftey not working properly

Post by otb »

Hello All,

I did some searching and found a few posts where people mention my problem in some aspect but not in entirely. So, I thought I would make a new thread. I'm sure this has been asked before, but forgive me as I could not locate it.

I just received my 1st P64 from AIM yesterday and I spent the evening today tearing it down, cleaning the grime out of it and knocking the minimal surface rust off with 0000 steel wool. Once assembled, I noticed that the safety was not functioning correctly 100% of the time. It pivots from Safe to Fire comfortably and crisply, however occasionally, once moved into fire position the "limp trigger" effect still persists. Sometimes working the trigger a few times engages it, sometimes recycling the safety engages it and other times neither seem to work. I took the grips back off and it seems that the trigger bar is not pushing the disconnector back up fully. The trigger bar is installed correctly with the trigger spring under the bar insert and situated in the appropriate groove. The trigger bar seems to have "spring" in it but at times, its almost like the weight of the disconnector itself is enough to prevent it from popping back up. Its well oiled in that area and the only other thing I can think is tear it back down and smooth out the contact surfaces for the disconnector and the frame itself. I was hoping someone here has a better solution. Thank you in advance.

Andrew
garybok

Re: New P64 owner, Saftey not working properly

Post by garybok »

I'm no expert, but I'd suspect the safety itself. Could be that even when on "fire" it is riding ever so slightly on the top of the disconnect, so that it sometimes prevents the disconnect from rising fully. Or perhaps a little grit has gotten in way and is blocking the disconnect. On mine, it takes just the slightest pressure on the disconnect to keep it from rising and allowing the trigger to operate. It seems pretty sensitive.

Another thing you might check is the trigger spring. You say the trigger bar has upward spring, but possibly it's just marginal? Springs do wear out I guess, so maybe it no longer has enough power to lift the consistently? That doesn't seem likely, I'll admit, but you never know.

Fortunately, springs are available here and safeties are available on Gunbroker (at least for now). Unfortunately, they both look like a real pain in the neck to replace. Anyway, I'm just guessing here. Keep us posted. I'd be interested in how you solve it.
otb

Post by otb »

Thanks. I'm thinking I'm going to do a spring overhaul and another good cleaning. I'll be sure to keep it updated. You say springs are available here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
garybok

Post by garybok »

Yes, I believe trigger springs are offered by one of the senior members here. He also posted instructions. You can find them if you click on "Goods" on the main page. Recoil and hammer springs are available from Wolff springs. And the safety (if you decide to replace it) just became available on Gunbroker.com, but there's a limited supply.
garybok

Post by garybok »

One more thing I meant to mention: If you go to the "Modifications, Fixes, and Repairs" forum on this site there's a very long thread titled "Safety dropping on while shooting." Lots of information in that thread that could give you some additional ideas.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

garybok wrote:One more thing I meant to mention: If you go to the "Modifications, Fixes, and Repairs" forum on this site there's a very long thread titled "Safety dropping on while shooting." Lots of information in that thread that could give you some additional ideas.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1045&hilit=Safety+d ... e+shooting
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary