Snap-caps? Is 380 ACP ok?

Info, pictures, advice...
scoobysnacker

Snap-caps? Is 380 ACP ok?

Post by scoobysnacker »

I did a quick search of the site, and the only thread was 7 yrs old and not clear on the answer; SO:

would a .380 snap-cap be fine, or do I need it to be in 9 mak?

I'm asking for the purpose of dry-firing, I don't want to do it on an empty chamber. I'm considering this for reasons of economy; while I own 4 pistols chambered in 9 mak, my brother has a Bersa .380. If the .380 can work in the maks, then I can give him one for his pistol, and we can all pull our triggers :D , without needing an additional set. My concern is that it would be too loose, or not fit right to cushion the firing pin.

There's also the option of the o-ring I guess (stick it back by the hammer, to act as a buffer so it doesn't actually strike), but I want to be able to rack the slide. Thanks for any info!
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: Snap-caps? Is 380 ACP ok?

Post by Weasel640 »

scoobysnacker wrote: would a .380 snap-cap be fine, or do I need it to be in 9 mak?
No a .380 would not be fine. The size difference is enough that they would not protect for dry fires. Snap Caps are really not all that expensive, just get the correct caliber for both. Just make sure that you keep them separated.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Cheap insurance to get the right calibers.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
scoobysnacker

Post by scoobysnacker »

Thanks; got some on the way.
It wasn't too hard a decision; I will have 4 guns in makarov, so a set of 5 A-zooms gives me enough for all.
daven

Post by daven »

A very simple trick is to take some fired cases, deprime (assuming that they are boxer) and then to put a dab of silicone caulk into the primer pocket. Let them set and then use them as snap caps. If really want to play, make some dummy rounds with lead heads and silicone primers. I use these for almost all of my "odd-ball calibres". DaveN
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

Being that it's an inertial firing pin, I personally don't worry about dry firing it. You will get arguments for and against, with die-hard advocates in both camps, so do what you think is best...but I've never personally known anyone that's had any sort of problem with a firearm due to dry firing.
Last edited by snailman153624 on May 15th, 2014, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Depends on the pistol, CZ52,s for example are know for breaking FP's due to the brittleness of the pin if dry fired too much.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Hurryin' Hoosier »

snailman153624 wrote:...but I've never personally known anyone that's had any sort of problem with a firearm due to dry firing.
Curly is correct. The vz.52 pistol is notorious for breaking firing pins if dry-fired very much.
"I'm just a poor white man, trying to make my way in the world." - Officer Andy Renko, "Hill Street Blues"
bobsher2

Post by bobsher2 »

I RELOAD SEVERAL DIFFERENT CAL. SO RATHER THAN BUY SNAP CAPS,I USE PINK ERASERS, CUT TO PRIMER DEPTH
SUPER GLUE IN HAS WORKED SO GOOD, JG SALES HAS CZ 52 FIRING PENS TO REPLACE FACTORY SOFT PINS.
EASY TO REPLACE, HOPE THIS HELPS, :hi: