Slide releasing when I push the Magazine release

Info, pictures, advice...
lloydke

Slide releasing when I push the Magazine release

Post by lloydke »

I have found a lot of great information about my P-64 here I appreciate it. Recently while cleaning the pistol I notice that the slide will sometimes release when I push the magazine release. Anyone have any idea what is causing this? Does this make the pistol unsafe to take to the Range? Any opinions would be appreciated.
wlockridge

Re: Slide releasing when I push the Magazine release

Post by wlockridge »

lloydke wrote:I have found a lot of great information about my P-64 here I appreciate it. Recently while cleaning the pistol I notice that the slide will sometimes release when I push the magazine release. Anyone have any idea what is causing this? Does this make the pistol unsafe to take to the Range? Any opinions would be appreciated.
It's still early for me i.e. before noon :) but I'll take a crack at it. I'll assume that the weapon is in the following condition, the magazine is empty and inserted, the slide is in the open position because of this, and when you push the slide release, the slide goes to battery. I can only go by my own experience mind you but, when I bought my weapon, a 1977 model year, it was in new, unfired condition. They must have dipped that thing in a cosmoline bath because it took soaking it over night in kerosene and following up with a can or two of carb cleaner to get that crap off. It doesn't take much jostling to cause that slide to snap shut on you like during a quick magazine change. Remember, tension is all that's keeping it open as, for whatever reason, they decided to do away with the external magazine release during R&D. As far as being dangerous, the only danger I see is if you're trying to change magazines during a gun fight and it shuts on you and then you'll have to rack it to get a round in the chamber and, be that the case, refer to my signature line below. I hope that helps, I'm sure that someone with more technical experience than mine will answer shortly and possibly give you a better answer. Be happy and be safe.
Shoot first, Shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things and have six rounds of ammo, you'll have two thirds more than you need to prevail.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

It's does not sound like it is unsafe. On allot of pistols this happens. Since it's closing on an empty chamber there is nothing unsafe about it. Just always check that the chamber, feed, and slide face is empty before setting the weapon down.

Also you might want to check, maybe mark your mags and take not of if it's with all that this happens, or a single mag that may not be engaging all the way when empty.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
wlockridge

Post by wlockridge »

wlockridge wrote:
lloydke wrote:I have found a lot of great information about my P-64 here I appreciate it. Recently while cleaning the pistol I notice that the slide will sometimes release when I push the magazine release. Anyone have any idea what is causing this? Does this make the pistol unsafe to take to the Range? Any opinions would be appreciated.
It's still early for me i.e. before noon :) but I'll take a crack at it. I'll assume that the weapon is in the following condition, the magazine is empty and inserted, the slide is in the open position because of this, and when you push the slide release, the slide goes to battery. I can only go by my own experience mind you but, when I bought my weapon, a 1977 model year, it was in new, unfired condition. They must have dipped that thing in a cosmoline bath because it took soaking it over night in kerosene and following up with a can or two of carb cleaner to get that crap off. It doesn't take much jostling to cause that slide to snap shut on you like during a quick magazine change. Remember, tension is all that's keeping it open as, for whatever reason, they decided to do away with the external magazine release during R&D. As far as being dangerous, the only danger I see is if you're trying to change magazines during a gun fight and it shuts on you and then you'll have to rack it to get a round in the chamber and, be that the case, refer to my signature line below. I hope that helps, I'm sure that someone with more technical experience than mine will answer shortly and possibly give you a better answer. Be happy and be safe.
I'm awake now and everything weasel said is correct, he knows his stuff when it comes to a P64. One thing you have to watch is that a round doesn't get stuck in the magazine because after you've racked it and checked it a couple of times and you rack it one more time you can end up with a hole in your kitchen window :shock: but that's another story. I've found that these magazines get a lot of foreign material down inside them being that it's a blow back pistol. I disassemble and clean and lightly oil my mags every time I shoot more than 50 rounds or so and that';s about every time I go out. Something to remember. Be safe.
Bill
Shoot first, Shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things and have six rounds of ammo, you'll have two thirds more than you need to prevail.
lloydke

Post by lloydke »

Thanks you for the responses, I appreciate it. I think I might take her for some range time this week.