Recoil spring replacement

Info, pictures, advice...
seniordom

Recoil spring replacement

Post by seniordom »

Recently purchased a P64 with a manufacture date of 1974. After reading about the really tough DA trigger pull I decided to order a new hammer spring (#17) in order to lighten the trigger pull in DA. In reading the forums I noted that it has been advised to also change the recoil spring so as to minimize wear on other component parts. If this is so I will definitely replace the recoil spring but what number spring do I get. I am not sure of the correct number to purchase.
Hypnotoad

Re: Recoil spring replacement

Post by Hypnotoad »

I think I read if you run really hot ammo (hollowpoints, etc) then you might benefit from a stiffer spring. I wasn't aware there was anything wrong with the stock spring if you're running regular ball ammo thru it.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum.

I have the 22lb recoil spring and the recoil is still snappy.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
PA-Joe

Post by PA-Joe »

You should square off the ends of all the springs so they look like the originals. Also watch out for the hammer spring washer.
seniordom

Post by seniordom »

Thanks to Hypnotoad, Curly 1 and PA-Joe for your inputs. At this point I am still a bit confused about replacing the recoil spring. Aside from the wear issue, does replacing the recoil spring in some way reduce the recoil or do you just need to have a firm grip? I have yet to fire the pistol so I imagine that when I do I'll determine just how much I need to address the recoil issue. To be prepared to purchase a different spring if needed, which spring number will reduce the recoil, a higher number or a lower number.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Some peeps have posted here that they found no difference from the stock spring to the 22lb spring so I guess it is a perspective thing that the only way you will know is to try changing out to compare.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
squat251

Post by squat251 »

The recoil is akin to any 9mm subcompact, the problem is that no matter what you do (short of possibly different grips) all the recoil is put onto the web between your thumb and forefinger. I have a rubber slip on over the plastics and it still hurts. I wish pachmeyer (sp) would make a set of rubber grips for this to help absorb some of that shock.