Please Help! Problem with trigger re-setting

Info, pictures, advice...
Chuck DeVoid

Please Help! Problem with trigger re-setting

Post by Chuck DeVoid »

I just today picked up my P-64 from Gander Mountain. I live in NYS, so had to go through the amendment process. Excited about getting a new toy..

I had already ordered replacement recoil and mainspring from Wolff. With the help of the excellent information here and videos by Saysonny, replacing the mainspring with an 18# spring was a snap. I also carefully cleaned up all the excess oil and dirt. No problems...

PROBLEM: Testing the single action trigger pull (cocking the hammer manually and pulling the trigger), sometimes I can pull the trigger all the way through and it does not trip the hammer. Then if I release the trigger and pull again, it will trip. It just skips tripping the hammer. I can also rack the slide manually to set the hammer back and create the same problem.

The only change made is the 18# mainspring, however this problem could have existed before but I just didn't play with the gun enough in the store to notice it. It does not happen every time, sometimes one in every cycles.

Anyone else experience this? Is it a result of the mainspring change? (I bought the Wolff kit so also have a 19# and 20 lb) Problem with the gun?

Any advice and help would be greatly appriciated, and thanks very much in advance.

Bill

PS: Could be a factor -- I do notice two things about the old mainspring vs. the new mainspring(s). 1.) The old mainspring is shorter by about 1/4" but appears to be heavier coils, and 2.) The ends of the old mainspring are ground flat, whereas the new springs are not. I wonder if this is the same situation as P-64 resource says on the recoil spring, that is, grind the ends flat to function properly.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Please Help! Problem with trigger re-setting

Post by juniustaylor »

I'm glad my videos were of help you you. Is the trigger return spring installed correctly? The upper leg of the spring should rest under a lug on the trigger bar inside the frame. This is what forces the trigger bar to make contact with the sear/hammer stuff so long as the disconnector is not forcing the bar down and out of the way.

I don't see the hammer/mainspring or the recoil spring to cause this issue. You shouldn't have to file/grind the ends of the mainspring to work/fit properly.

Did you try function checking it with the original stuff in it?
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
PA-Joe

Re: Please Help! Problem with trigger re-setting

Post by PA-Joe »

The wolf replacement recoil springs end in round coils and it does help if you file them flat like the original. They will then sit better.