Slide pops off rail after first shot?

Info, pictures, advice...
SKI

Slide pops off rail after first shot?

Post by SKI »

Hey y'all I'm looking at purchasing a P-64 for $200 close to my house. The only thing preventing me right now is me seeing a guy return one because the slide pooped off the rail after the first shot. I don't see how this can happen unless he was using the wrong type of ammo? The slide didn't appear to have any damage so I'm wondering if he didn't know how to re-assemble it.
Thanks for any info.
-Chris
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Slide pops off rail after first shot?

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome ot the forum Chris.

He could have hat a broken lug at the top of the trigger guard that caused it to come off.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
SKI

Post by SKI »

Thanks! Is it a pretty easy fix? I'm looking at buying from a local Gander Mountain, the guy behind the counter said they tend to get a lot of the P-64's taken back for repair for the this reason. I'm not sure where they source from, but I've noticed reviews about the P-64's overall performance and durability are usually very good. This makes me wonder if Gander gets the already gone through boxes sent to them.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

You can pick up replacement trigger guards from a guy in Poland.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =292820782
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I haven't heard of many cases of a slide popping off. Less than 3 that I'm aware of. Folks at Gander Mtn stores are usually at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to intelligence or politeness. It's been my experience with them that they aren't very bright and are rude to customers.

Curly is absolutely correct. The couple times that I saw it happen, the person posted pictures and both times the lug on the trigger guard had cracked. That allows the slide to come fully rear (just like you had pulled the trigger guard down to disassemble it) and it wouldn't take much for the rear of the slide to lift up a hint and go shooting off a couple feet in front of you.

All in all, I think the chances are very low. As Curly also mentioned, you can buy a trigger guard online or use Gander's "Certified Gunsmith" service if something were to happen. To my knowledge Gander Mtn gets them in the same condition / boxes that a consumer should get them from any other source.

Good luck!!! :)
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
SKI

Post by SKI »

Awesome! Thanks for the information. I think I'll go ahead and pick one up.
Goberserk

Post by Goberserk »

I got my p64 for that same price ($200), nicely refinished and Duracoated in H&K black, from mach1arsenal.com. Of course, shipping added $30 and FFL cost me $20. Count me a satisfied customer