P 64 vs P 83

Info, pictures, advice...
Never Enough Ammo

P 64 vs P 83

Post by Never Enough Ammo »

School me on the differences. I have fallen for my P64 and the 9x18 and was looking into getting PM and stumbled onto the the P83. I know that the P83 is the update/replacement to the P64. But what are the differences? Larger magazines? Other than the two sentences on wikiapedia I know nothing about it. From what I can tell on the few pictures it is far less PPKish. No hinged trigger guard and very weird hammer,with a slide locking mechanism. Does any one own a P83 and a P64? Thanks.
Life is hard,it's harder when you're stupid-John Wayne
PA-Joe

Re: P 64 vs P 83

Post by PA-Joe »

Main difference is larger size and stamped metal parts.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Joe hit it prettty much. You can find welding marks under the barrel where they welded the 2 stamped metal frame pieces together.
The finish is a lot rougher also.

But like the P64 and CZ82 they are still great bargain get them both and if you don't have a CZ82 get that on your list also.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by beasleydano »

I have had several P64s & 2 P83s. I much prefer the P83 over the P64. P83 is larger, Makarov size. I use a Falco open top Makarov holster & mag pouch & they are a perfect fit. P83 has a better trigger, smooth double action/single action. Mag holds more rounds. Accurate & reliable. The only thing about the P64 that is better than the P83 is that it is smaller & easier to carry concealed. OK, the P64 looks better, the P83 has a military look, not pretty like the P64.
DoubleTap

Post by DoubleTap »

In my experience, the P-64 seems to be more accurate than the P-83, although they're both more than accurate enough for their intended role. If I were offered the choice as to which one to carry - assuming concealability wasn't an issue - I'd go with the P-83 every time, as I feel it's a more practical gun (in terms of ergonomics and controllability). Every 9x18 fan should have both IMO! :D
jonbw

Post by jonbw »

Is there any advantage of the 83 over a mak? I have the mak and 63 and since the 83 is close to both
I'm not sure I can justify getting one. They do sound like a good gun tho, even if slightly ugly.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

jonbw wrote:Is there any advantage of the 83 over a mak?
Magazine capacity. Mak is 8+1. P-83 is 12+1.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
DoubleTap

Post by DoubleTap »

I think you might be confusing it with the CZ-82/83.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

DoubleTap wrote:
You're right, I had a brain-fart.

'Scuse please. :)

I'm still trying to figure out how I can import a FORT-12. :P

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
jonbw

Post by jonbw »

lklawson wrote:
DoubleTap wrote:
You're right, I had a brain-fart.

'Scuse please. :)

I'm still trying to figure out how I can import a FORT-12. :P

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Thank you both for replying and I should have looked at the capacity myself.

However since I have this addiction for these 9x18's If I run across one at a gun show
I will buy it. The price is about the same even if more compared to adding postage and
FFL cost. I'm already three guns behind what I want so it will be a long summer.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

The P83 is lighter than the Mak.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

jonbw wrote:However since I have this addiction for these 9x18's If I run across one at a gun show
I will buy it. The price is about the same even if more compared to adding postage and
FFL cost. I'm already three guns behind what I want so it will be a long summer.
Don't feel bad. I'm four guns behind. ;)

One of them is the P-83 though.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
jonbw

Post by jonbw »

lklawson wrote:
jonbw wrote:However since I have this addiction for these 9x18's If I run across one at a gun show
Don't feel bad. I'm four guns behind. ;)

One of them is the P-83 though.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Thanks curly1 as lighter is better for me. I like my mak but it is a bit heavy and I like some of the benefits of the P-83.

IKLawson I Know what you mean as the P-83 will probably be my next purchase, unless.......
I have a list but I really don't dare to look at it as I am also wanting to move to Florida next winter.
surfzombie

Post by surfzombie »

The P83 has a better trigger out of the box and I like the mag release better but with that said I prefer my P64 over the P83 because of size and the fit and finish is nicer on the P64 (personal preference). I say buy both.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

+1 buy both.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary