P 64 vs P 83

Info, pictures, advice...
allentownernie

Re: P 64 vs P 83

Post by allentownernie »

I have both and I prefer to carry the P-64 because of its smaller size and by the way, thanks to Dick Funk to help me get back on the forum after forgeting my username and password ( dummy me ). Thanks again Dick.
dalek

Post by dalek »

I have a P64 and want to get a P83. And the CZ82. Think of them like Pokemons: gotta catch'em all.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

dalek wrote:I have a P64 and want to get a P83. And the CZ82. Think of them like Pokemons: gotta catch'em all.

Amen to that bro.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
allentownernie

Post by allentownernie »

Lucky me, I have both. P-64 for conceiled carry, P-83 just to have another great 9x18 pistol.
Legally Armed

Post by Legally Armed »

jonbw wrote:Is there any advantage of the 83 over a mak? I have the mak and 63 and since the 83 is close to both
I'm not sure I can justify getting one. They do sound like a good gun tho, even if slightly ugly.
Novelty factor. Lots of people know what a Mak is, but will get a "what the heck is that?" look on their face when you pull out a P83 :evilgrin: They're very goofy looking guns. Oh, wait, one advantage: when you hit the mag release on a P83, the mag flies out of there under spring pressure. The Mak you have to pull it out. So, quicker reloads I guess.

As far as shooting, I remain convinced that what the Poles actually wanted was a Mak, but they were too proud to simply ask the Russians for the plans and tooling, so they set out to create a pistol that felt, handled, and shot exactly like a Mak. In a blind shooting test, I don't think you could tell the difference. Recoil is the same, trigger feel is the same. The mags looks very similar but aren't compatible (which can be quite annoying when you own a bunch of Maks and a bunch of P83's).
Legally Armed

Post by Legally Armed »

jonbw wrote:
lklawson wrote:
jonbw wrote:However since I have this addiction for these 9x18's If I run across one at a gun show
I will buy it. The price is about the same even if more compared to adding postage and
FFL cost. I'm already three guns behind what I want so it will be a long summer.
Don't feel bad. I'm four guns behind. ;)

One of them is the P-83 though.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Thanks curly1 as lighter is better for me. I like my mak but it is a bit heavy and I like some of the benefits of the P-83.

IKLawson I Know what you mean as the P-83 will probably be my next purchase, unless.......
I have a list but I really don't dare to look at it as I am also wanting to move to Florida next winter.
Hold up. Are you wanting this for concealed carry? The P83 isn't really any lighter or easier to conceal than a Mak. The P64 is a good bit easier to conceal than a Mak -- it is definitely the carry gun of the 9x18 family.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Legally Armed wrote:Hold up. Are you wanting this for concealed carry?
No. I want one because I like Mak. caliber handguns. I'm still trying to figure out how to import a FORT-12.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
Legally Armed

Post by Legally Armed »

lklawson wrote:
Legally Armed wrote:Hold up. Are you wanting this for concealed carry?
No. I want one because I like Mak. caliber handguns. I'm still trying to figure out how to import a FORT-12.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Oh. Well in that case, I'd go for the P83. This will perhaps be an unpopular opinion on here, but I think the P83 is a much more enjoyable gun to shoot than the P64 because the recoil is so much more tame. I can (and have) shoot hundreds of rounds in a row out of a P83 and been perfectly comfortable. My P64's, eh, after about 3 mags, I'm done.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

To be fair, I have several others in line in front of the P83. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."