decocker lever travel not smooth

Info, pictures, advice...
cplrickle

decocker lever travel not smooth

Post by cplrickle »

My decocker lever almost feels like there is an intermediate position in the middle when I push it down. Its definitely not just "up" or "down". Any one else notice this?
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: decocker lever travel not smooth

Post by juniustaylor »

This "middle" position is where the nubs on the safety push the hammer away from the firing pin, or allow it to sit against the firing pin. With the pistol unloaded put the safety on fire and cock the hammer. Notice the nubs on the back of the safety. Now, decock the hammer. While rotating the safety between fire and safe, watch the hammer as you move the safety. It will move back on safe and forward on fire.

Another idea. If the hammer is down, it is the nubs on the safety. If the hammer is cocked and you're going to decock it and put it to safety. It appears that the disconnector causes the resistance. You will feel this "mid" position which is when the safety is about to cam over onto the disconnector to allow the hammer to fall.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
cplrickle

Post by cplrickle »

So it sounds like this is normal.

Thanks air-dog...semper fi
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Yes I can feel it in mine also.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
PA-Joe

Post by PA-Joe »

If you remove it you will notice machine marks. You can polish these surfaces.
cplrickle

Post by cplrickle »

Thanks for all the posts. Now that I think about it some more, I guess I was comparing it to the decocker on my Walther P1, which really "snaps" between the two positions.
WarLord

Post by WarLord »

If you do as PA-joe mentioned and remove and polish it, you will notice it functions a lot smoother. It still has to push the hammer back a bit when it is forward so there is some resistance but it will be better. There is an article here some place or on the internet about removing the firing pin. Using a pair of forceps makes it really easy and you can get the safety/decocker out. Still, do it in a plastic bag just in case the detent pin and spring take to flight. Mine didn't but I used a bag anyway to be safe.
Americal 1970-1971 "We Kill Folks"
p64-1973

Post by p64-1973 »

cplrickle wrote:Thanks for all the posts. Now that I think about it some more, I guess I was comparing it to the decocker on my Walther P1, which really "snaps" between the two positions.
Too funny! I have a PPK/S made in 1988, and it does not work nearly as stiff as my P-64 does, but then again the Polish pistol is not a PPK/S either. Mine is really stiff on the Polish piece, but for the money and the extra hitting power the 9mm Mak has over the .380, I can deal with it.
Those who beat their weapons into plows will do nothing, but till the soil for those who do not.