Seeking sagely advice.

Info, pictures, advice...
kenshinailo

Seeking sagely advice.

Post by kenshinailo »

Hello everyone! I just became the proud owner of a P-64, and have one or two questions about it.

Prior to use: Prior to purchasing my gun, I field stripped it to inspect for obvious damage. Everything is well lubricated and nothing seems broken or overly worn. Do you have any suggestions for any other actions I should take before firing it?

Modifications: I already have a lighter hammer spring on order. The factory spring is too much for me to comfortably fire DA accurately. Any other simple-ish modifications I can make to get the most out of my pistol? By "simple-ish" I mean "not requiring a gunsmith bench". I have a few hand tools available, but nothing designed to work on firearms.

Thanks in advance everyone! I'm looking forward to becoming a member of this community.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." --Nietzsche
darrell

Re: Seeking sagely advice.

Post by darrell »

I would put a hogue handall Jr. grip on it and also get a slightly heavier recoil spring. The trigger job and Hogue grips are the big items. The heavier recoil spring did not make as much difference on the P64 as it does on the PA-63.
Last edited by darrell on December 22nd, 2011, 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Edub

Post by Edub »

I polished the feed ramp on mine - but I do that on almost all my guns. A dremel tool and some Flitz polish were all that I needed.
Donzi

Post by Donzi »

First, I'd order the heavier recoil spring. Many use the Wolff 22 lb, and it supposedly reduces felt recoil some. 2nd, I'd dismantle the pistol as much as possible and REALLY clean it w/solvents & then lubricate. Be sure to remove the grips 1st. 3rd, while it's apart, closely inspect all moving parts, looking f/cracks & burrs. A member of this forum, juniustaylor, has posted several very helpful Youtube videos spelling out the takedown steps & some other aspects of P64 care & feeding. Be sure to view them. HTH.
Donzi
"Jeez, Tommy, don't you believe in anything?
Yeah, I believe in ammo. As much as I can carry."
fully machined

Post by fully machined »

Mine looked clean enough. Cleaned it again. At least I thought I did. You ever seen copper wire with that baked on enamal insulation? These guy know what they are talking about when they say clean, clean, v
clean!!!