P64 x4

Info, pictures, advice...
sysanalyst

P64 x4

Post by sysanalyst »

Purchased 4 P64 pistols from J&G sales. One 1966, two 1975, and one 1976. The condition ranged from very good to excellent. The bluing is amazingly deep, the finish excellent save for some wear on the top of the slide (sights) and near the muzzle, presumably from holster wear. All guns were cleaned of any traces of cosmoline, treated to a cleaning and lube, then fired flawlessly through 50 rounds of Sliver Bear JHP. Surprisingly accurate, mild recoil, and as expected, double action trigger pull was horrendous though manageable through that first critical shot.

Ordered Wolff spring kits and installed on all of them. Used the 17lb mainsprings along with the standard rate (18lb) recoil spring/accompanying firing pin spring. This makes a HUGE difference in trigger pull.

Overall pleased with these P64 specimens, although I'd really like to swap out those plastic grips for something a little more ergo.

Bottom line; for $149+S&H each, these guns are a bargain as a truck/car gun. Pick a few up before they are all gone.

One note; One of the 1975 models has a difficult to remove slide. I had to vise the slide and really tug on the frame to get it off. Inspection shows no signs of burrs, casting cracks, flaws, etc. Any ideas?
The Only Sarge

Re: P64 x4

Post by The Only Sarge »

On your 1975...is the spring face flat or round? If round...file it down flat and your slide will come off and on easy.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

+1 with The Only Sarge. Look at your old spring and look at the new spring. You should see a difference in the coil ends. They'll be ground flat. I didn't figure this problem would affect the 18# recoil spring though, usually it's the 20+ lb springs as the coils are fatter. Hmmm. Grind the ends flush and see what happens. Somewhere on here is a picture tutorial type deal. I'm off to work so won't be able to locate it for you. Good luck.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I have a 22lb spring on my 1977 w/o the end ground flat and I have no problem getting it on or off.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Yeah, it's weird how it works Curly. I can't recall if the 20# on mine is ground or not. Something tells me it is not. I think it just came in the mail and I slapped it in the gun. However, some folks' guns just don't work right when getting the slide off unless the ends are ground. It's interesting.