Is p-64 a good target pistol

Info, pictures, advice...
bkoperski

Is p-64 a good target pistol

Post by bkoperski »

I'm considering getting a p-64 and was wondering if it is an adequate target shooter or if it is more of a point and shoot pocket pistol
i already asked on another board but i wanted input from people who know the gun best
my mind has been buzzing with decisions because although i am fairly familiar with firearms this will be the first one that i own for myself
frankmako

Re: Is p-64 a good target pistol

Post by frankmako »

any pistol can be used as a target gun,,,,,but some are better made for that role. the p64 is not made for the role of a target shooter. not to say it can not be done,,,but there are better suited guns for that role. the p64 is a com block police gun made for work. the p64 has little sights and a heavy double acion trigger which makes it a better point and shoot gun. i guest you could target shoot the p64 in single action and at close range.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Good carry piece but you will get punished by the recoil for high volume target shooting.

Ran 150 rounds thru mine the first time and I could feel the after affects for a couple days.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
gwbiker

Post by gwbiker »

In my experience with the P64 - it's a good self defense handgun with very good accuracy up to and including 21' which is the distance I practice at.

I don't consider the P64 to be a target pistol.
Donzi

Post by Donzi »

Among other things, the P64's sights do not lend themselves to target shooting. I'd say it's more of a carry gun.
Donzi
"Jeez, Tommy, don't you believe in anything?
Yeah, I believe in ammo. As much as I can carry."
Dwight

Post by Dwight »

I find my P64 to be remarkably accurate as a target shooting pistol out to my "typical" defense practice distance of 7 yards. It's not the most comfortable or pleasant shooter, though. After about 30 or 40 rounds, I've had about all that I care for.

Dwight
bkoperski

Post by bkoperski »

thanks for the info
i think i will still get it anyway and practice at the 21' mark like gwbiker
I can use my dad's berreta for more extensive target practice (though im still pretty rubish with it)
Legally Armed

Post by Legally Armed »

The P64 is really not a fun range gun, to be honest. The recoil is far too punishing.

If you want a commie pistol for target shooting, get yourself a cz-82. Not only do they have real sights, they have butter smooth triggers, and are much softer shooting than the P64.

P64's are great -- for cheap reliable carry guns. Not cheap range guns.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

+1 with Legally Armed, CZ-82's are Fun Fun Fun! P64 is a good compact SD gun but I don't personally take it out and shoot it a lot. I prefer the CZ-82 for that.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
bkoperski

Post by bkoperski »

yeah ive read all about the cz 82 before and it seemed like the most superior option in every way but something still kept drawing me towards the p-64
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

Legally Armed wrote:The P64 is really not a fun range gun, to be honest. The recoil is far too punishing.

If you want a commie pistol for target shooting, get yourself a cz-82. Not only do they have real sights, they have butter smooth triggers, and are much softer shooting than the P64.

P64's are great -- for cheap reliable carry guns. Not cheap range guns.
^ This.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

bkoperski wrote:but something still kept drawing me towards the p-64
P64's are cool!

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
Legally Armed

Post by Legally Armed »

bkoperski wrote:yeah ive read all about the cz 82 before and it seemed like the most superior option in every way but something still kept drawing me towards the p-64
for a range gun, the cz-82 is the king of the commie pistol family, hands down. it's not even close.

the p-64 is REALLY not fun to shoot. did i get that across? wouldn't want you to buy one for the wrong reason and be disappointed. if you want one just because you collect the stuff, or for a cheap carry gun, you'll be very happy, but when you say your intended use is target shooting, i worry..

if the cz-82 just doesn't do it for you for whatever reason, look at the makarov and the p-83. both are much more comfortable than the p-64 to fire and have decent triggers.
Dwight

Post by Dwight »

+1 about the CZ-82 (well, I have 3 so maybe I should say +3...)

Dwight
Veritas

Post by Veritas »

I have the CZ-82, P-83 & the P-64 and one thing that surprised me was the P-64 is the most accurate of all...... by a decent & noticeable margin. It may be just my particular guns, but as of this date, if I had to choose one to compete placing holes in a piece of paper I would choose the p-64 (this gun puts holes in holes).

That being said, it is a bit stout on the recoil, but I can not believe how accurate this little bugger is.

RAS