"New" P-64 range review

Info, pictures, advice...
johnb007

"New" P-64 range review

Post by johnb007 »

I just got back from my local outdoor shooting range. I took my "new" P-64, my 1911 Series 80 and my Cetme. This is the first chance I'd had to shoot any of the 3.

First I shot a couple mags through the Cetme, because I've had it for a while but this was the first time I'd had the chance to get it out. Smooth as silk, no problems feeding. Good gun.

Next I shot the 1911, a gift from my father, it was his sidearm while he was a sheriff until he retired. It shot as expected, but oddly not as accurate as my Llama .45, but it is a 1911 and the design is fantastic.

Now the P-64 was up to bat. I wasn't sure what to expect. There are complaints of trigger pull, and other assorted issues that come with C&R guns. I put up a silhouette target at about 25 feet, and loaded her up. I opted to start off with a SA shot first, because I knew the DA pull would be horrid.

I aimed for the silhouette's head, not because I'd aim there in a self defense situation, but because I wanted to check the accuracy of this tiny beast. Made sure I was in a proper weaver stance and eased back the trigger. BANG. Right where I aimed! I was able to hit the same head every time I shot (keep in mind this was single action), some shots were so close they were touching!

I then tried a DA pull, no idea where that went, but I am sure it hit the target.
I shot a full box of ammo (ok 1/2 box of Siver Wolf and 1/2 box of Brown Bear), and no slide bites or other soreness. my index finger did get a bit of a work out.

Of all the guns I own, the P-64 is my new favorite. It's pin point accuracy is amazing. I need to buy a few more of these! Hooked!
darrell

Re: "New" P-64 range review

Post by darrell »

You will enjoy shooting your P-64 a little better if you put a Hogue Handall Junior grip on it. I didn't think the recoil spring made that much differnce but that probably varies from person to person. They are accurate and dependable once you get them properly cleaned.