P64 vs PF9

Info, pictures, advice...
deltacornbread

Re: P64 vs PF9

Post by deltacornbread »

Let me add a bit to this conversation. I started buying CZ82,P64's and PA63's because they were cheap. And the P64 is definitely concealable. My plans were to use these guns as in-expensive "car" guns. You know, low priced gun that I will not worry too much about if I experience a theft. Sort of "protect" my Kahr, my Smith's, Colts, etc.. Something happened along the way and I treasure these Mil-surps more than the modern commercial guns I own. May be somewhat nostalgic, but I think a lot has to do with the fact that these are some VERY well made pistols.
I am 53 yo and I can remember being told all though my school years that anything the Commies made was junk. Actually believed this til I started buying Mosin Nagants and Eastern Bloc pistols.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

deltacornbread wrote:Let me add a bit to this conversation. I started buying CZ82,P64's and PA63's because they were cheap. And the P64 is definitely concealable. My plans were to use these guns as in-expensive "car" guns. You know, low priced gun that I will not worry too much about if I experience a theft. Sort of "protect" my Kahr, my Smith's, Colts, etc.. Something happened along the way and I treasure these Mil-surps more than the modern commercial guns I own. May be somewhat nostalgic, but I think a lot has to do with the fact that these are some VERY well made pistols.
There's just something about collecting surplus firearms that is very rewarding. I think that it's the same for collecting any antique weapon (I have a few swords and knives as well).

I see collecting, carrying, and shooting these historic pieces as similar to my friends who do the whole "Car Collector" thing. They get an antique car (or many) that appeals to them, restore them, drive them (during the summer anyhow), and take them to Car Shows. Just something about the history of the thing.
I am 53 yo and I can remember being told all though my school years that anything the Commies made was junk. Actually believed this til I started buying Mosin Nagants and Eastern Bloc pistols.
Commie stuff was kinda hit-n-miss sometimes. There are jokes about pistols being "made on Friday." But a lot of these commie guns (most?) have a very simple, robust design that just plain works. I think people first started realizing the differences in design philosophy when they started comparing the M16 to the AK47, sometime during/post Vietnam. It's taken a long time for public perceptions to catch up but people are beginning to realize that "solid and reliable" with "acceptable accuracy" sometimes beats out "watchmaker precision and high complexity" in some situations.

The same goes for the P64. Yes, it has some trade offs, particularly compared to modern firearms, but there's a lot good that can be said of it also, even in comparison to modern firearms.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
Foo Bird

Post by Foo Bird »

One issue I have with the PF9 is the plastic sights. Now a Glock also has plastic sights too, but they are much tougher than those used on the PF9.