Two styles of P-64 Magazines

Info, pictures, advice...
PA-Joe

Two styles of P-64 Magazines

Post by PA-Joe »

I know that there are at least two different styles of magazines. Does anyone know what year they started using the longer feed length? In addition to the feed length I had two versions of the short mags. One had a solid follower and the other a skeleton version.

I have a 1971 and would like to confirm which style I need.
Autosurgeon

Re: Two styles of P-64 Magazines

Post by Autosurgeon »

I just modded one with my dremil... it was the long lip mag and my gun requires the short lip mags..
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

To the best of my knowledge, which you could put on a cigarette paper using a crayon, outside the original magazine [6 rds] there are only repoductions out there, but I could be wrong.
PA-Joe

Post by PA-Joe »

These are all original just two different feeder lenghts!
Autosurgeon

Post by Autosurgeon »

PA-Joe wrote:These are all original just two different feeder lenghts!
Yep this!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
JAGGUY

Post by JAGGUY »

My 1970 came with both style mags. I was expecting to have feeding problems with one of them but they both run fine.
Autosurgeon

Post by Autosurgeon »

My 67 would not feed with the long lip mag so I ground it back to match the other 3 mags I have.

PA-Joe

Post by PA-Joe »

So pre 1969 models use the short feed lips only?
Autosurgeon

Post by Autosurgeon »

Don't know... but mine does... I am one man and one gun!

papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

I am not going to debate the issue of two styles of "original" magazines for the P-64 here, what ever you want to believe, so be it, however, all need to remember the P-64 CZAK is a surplus handgun that was in storage for years packed with cosmoline, years later imported to the US. In the beginning these pistols did not have a thumbrest on the left side panel, later when they showed in retail stores some showed up with and without a thumb rest left panel, I'm told due to importation laws crazy as it may seem. Since Jan '06 I have been a member here, we have discovered since then a lot about the P-64, we have found many P-64's post '72 with round hammers and etc, and the list goes on about the dates that certain changes were made after a certain date, however, since '06 we have found several P-64's with parts and stamps that really confused us, but later a Polish member still in the Polish army furnished us with accurate information concerning the P-64 and offered us very small list of parts and field gear for sale from his connection in Poland while he was stationed in Afghanistan, his info was invaluable to us.

Many of these P-64's were assembled from parts in the Polish armory's, and we know that in the beginning parts were imported to retailers and they assembled the P-64's here and this was back as '06-'07 that I can attest to. According to our Polish friend, when they made changes a "letter" was stamped on the frame or slide, there were dates for these changes, and yet we have seen many times were the "Letter" and "Dates" don't match up which gives proof that some of the P-64 came from parts from the Polish armory's. We picked his brain on just about ever thing under the sun concerning the P-64 including magazines and ever did he tells us that there were more than one style of magazine.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

papabear
+ 1

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
Autosurgeon

Post by Autosurgeon »

well gentleman I got a mag that had feed lips 1/8 of an inch longer than the others and it would not feed.. when I ground it back to the same specs as they others it worked fine. In all other dimensions it was the same and it is very obviously a P64 Mag..

So regardless of what one soldier knew and told you I am sure there was some things he was not aware of for the simple fact that he had not seen them.

normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Autosurgeon

yea and its an after market mag, there are 3 difference versions of the after market mags out there there is one that has a plastic follower in it , there is one that the metal is so thin from shooting it leave an impression of the bullets in the metal , an one the has large feed lips.

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
Autosurgeon

Post by Autosurgeon »

it's not aftermarket unless they made one exactly like the originals except for the lips.

The base plate is identical the construction of the mag body is identical the follower and spring is identical... to the others I have.

The only diff was the feed lips. Also it has a serial number engraved on it... I don't know that I care if it is aftermarket as long as it works correctly and since it seems to be just as thick of steel and the machining marks are the same and the bluing matches all the others I am somewhat skeptical that it is aftermarket... that said if it is it is a good one!

normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Autosurgeon
they are identical in the construction except for feed lips, that's how you know its an after market

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage