need some info to be convinced

Info, pictures, advice...
josey88

Post by josey88 »

I am uncertain as to which gun I should buy, a russian Makarov(IJ70A ,the one with the adj rear sights) or an p-64 . The p-64 I like , but the size is a concern ; kind of small to be comfortable shooting and reliability for CCW... My principal question is : which is a better shooter , the p-64 or the russian Makarov ? I will certainly apreciate some info on this from somebody who has handle the two pistols , before I made the decision to buy . The p-64 concern is 2 things : limited capacity of 6 rds and small size ( I think that with the springs replacement , recoil and trigger pull will improve, but not sure either) and the Makarov, know nothing , so I am asking Thanks to all
Last edited by josey88 on February 9th, 2010, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

josey88
buy one of each I have 4 P-64's and 3 maks

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
kurremkarm

Post by kurremkarm »

My p-64 with replacement springs is very uncomfortable to shoot but it is small and reliable. I have heard people say when it comes to concealment guns you get small, reliable, and comfortable to shoot but you can only pick three. I think you can find makarov parts easier however.
gixxer9999

Post by gixxer9999 »

I have not shot the russian but I love my P-64. I like the small size and carry it for my ccw. I have other hand guns and I seem to only carry the P-64. The only issue I have with the P-64 that I don't with my bigger hand guns is the site picture is small and can be hard to see in a low light area. I don't feel this is a big issue when it comes the ccw as if I need to pull it I'm sure the person or persons will be close that site picture will not be an issue.
gixxer9999

Post by gixxer9999 »

As far as the 6 round mag goes I just carry a spare mag with me for total of 12 rounds on my persons. Hope this helps.
boomer

Post by boomer »

My two cents. I have now carried both. The P 64 is lighter and thinner and more comfortable inside the waist band. That said a CCW is never supposed to be comfortable just comforting. Six plus One is one more than the revolver and I never had to use all six to stop an aggressor. I was taught "double tap" two and look, then two more if needed and the last two if all else fails. With the P 64 you have one more just in case.

That should be more than adequate in a gun fight scenario in my opinion. I sure you will find others that will want 15 rounds of .45 caliber for carry and nothing else. Just remember you have to lug it around for years and hopefully never have to use it. .45 caliber bullets are not the only lethal bullets out there. We also won a few wars without hollow point bullets as well.
dwd

Post by dwd »

This might be the wrong forum to ask which is better, but that being said I'll give my humble opinion. I primarily carry 3 weapons, a Mak IJ70, a PA-63, and a p64. In that order. I like the Mak in my big hands, I even have Pearce grips installed on it that are thick and fit my hand better, it works in cold weather under heavy clothes. The p64 is a quality weapon and if size is a factor that might be the best choice.
I agree with Norm, buy both. You can get both for about the same price as new pistol.
[url=http://drugstore-onlinecatalog.com/]drugstore-onlinecatalog.com[/url]
stover

Post by stover »

I dont own a Russian Commercial but I wouldn't part with my Bulgarian or East German Makarovs. I have a p64 for when I cant carry a Mak.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

P-64 for sure. Its accurate, comfortable and and with time on the range aiming should not be an issue. Point and click. IMHO
boomer

Post by boomer »

What's not to like about either format of 9 x 18 pistols!
rockcrawln71

Post by rockcrawln71 »

Get one of each! I have 5 maks and 1 p-64, need more p-64's!
probyt

Post by probyt »

Maybe this helps. My dad owns a ppk and a p-64. The ppk stays in the house unless he takes it to the range to shoot. The p-64 is in his pocket daily. ;)
robalan

Post by robalan »

My vote goes to the buying one of each. Actually, 2 P64s would do nicely. I only have the P64. It was the first small gun I really liked and felt I could shoot well at a distance. The price of these guns can not be beat for what you get. If you have a lot to spend I would suggest a Sig P232 with Crimson laser grips.
daytonaknight

Post by daytonaknight »

I have two P64s with 20 Lb recoil springs and two Bulgarian Maks and I carry both models. A Mak makes a fine carry piece. However, I shoot better groups with a P64 and a P64 does conceal a little easier.

I don't mind the P64 recoil so much but with my short fingers, the slide passes directly over my thumb knuckle. The slide tends to rub a small blister the top of my knuckle after a couple of mags, even when I am being careful to avoid it. When I go to the range, I shoot a couple of mags thru the P64 to keep in practice then finish up the box with a Mak.

I put 18 Lb hammer springs on the P64s and they have a decent DA pull now - I've never measured it but it feels pretty close to the pull on my Maks. SA is kinda light though.
Last edited by daytonaknight on February 26th, 2010, 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.