Safe Carry with chamber loaded?

Info, pictures, advice...
primarchbentley

Post by primarchbentley »

dickfunk wrote:The concern is not from the rear, but of the pistol landing on the muzzle end. The FP is free floating when the safety is off, and well you know....inertia.
Inertia isn't enough to let the free-floating Bulgy Makarov firing pin to cause an AD, as the Bulgy Makarov was Republic of Kalifornia approved (including passing drop testing) until Dec of last year (unless it got renewed). And our P64s have firing pin return springs, no? Not completely free-floating like the Makarov then...

EDIT: Just to note, the Makarov also has a rebounding hammer (like our P64s)...
Last edited by primarchbentley on February 8th, 2010, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kurremkarm

Post by kurremkarm »

Even if the thing does go off muzzle first it will probably discharge into the ground won't it?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

guys

just to clear this up ,
the the P-64 has a rebounding hammer, in other words you can push on the hammer tell the cows come home and the hammer will never touch the firing pin, until the trigger is pulled

it doesn't have a free floating firing pin it has a firing pin spring in it,to keep it away from the primer until the hammer drops
one more thing it has a decocker on it that can be use as a safety

some posted that a guy drop a 1911 and it went off being lock and cock , chances are they never put back the firing pin spring or put a weak one in the gun,

I for one don't carry a round in the chamber , I was instructed to rack the slide as I draw my weapon an it is second nature to me to do it that , if I carry a round in the chamber and had to use the gun , I would be ejecting a loaded round when I drew my gun, an I'm to old to change

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on February 9th, 2010, 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
boomer

Post by boomer »

Thanks Again Norm for your experience and knowledge. I was the one that posted about the dropped 1911. It sure was a frightening thing to see!

Mike
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

One reason to carry with one in the chamber - This guy didn't:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=086_1260862712
kurremkarm

Post by kurremkarm »

I have heard about that vid but never cared to watch it, trust me, i have had nightmares (literally) of drawing a gun that won't shoot.
boomer

Post by boomer »

The probability of failure with a military quality service weapon is not great enough to loose sleep over if the weapon is properly maintained. The possibility of getting in a close quarters gun fight in a confining space like in the video is even smaller in my opinion.

You should also notice that it took several seconds for the adrenaline to subside for the shop owner even to realize he was hit. Don't get it in your head that if you shoot somebody they are going to drop to the floor. I have seen 125 lb Asian solderers and gorilla fighters take a full clip of .45 230 grn. and still keep coming. Now introduce drugs into the equation and the heart rate goes up. Only a direct hit to the central nervous system will shut it down. Head shots are hard to do because everything below the eyes is buckle cavity with no vital areas except for the spinal column. Handguns are not really all that effective as apposed to a high power rifle of better yet a shot gun shooting several projectiles at one time.

That said, they are the last resort when push comes to shove.
halljt3

Post by halljt3 »

Thanks for the post Norm, definitely cleared up some questions I had. It will def help me on how I decide to carry.
kurremkarm

Post by kurremkarm »

True but that doesn't mean I haven't literally had nightmares about them not firing. The guy in the vid, if its the one i heard about, had the safety on his gun and never took it off just kept trying to fire it while the bad guy shot him full of holes.

The followup to this is that the guy lived and now carries a revolver.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

I carry mine with one in the pipe and the safety on. Thats just me. I carry mine IWB with no strap, so if it pops out...I'm safe.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

NORMSUTTON wrote: it doesn't have a free floating firing pin it has a firing pin spring in it
My bad - wrong terminology. I should have just clarified that I simply meant no plunger to lock in when the safety's off.

The firing pin spring may or may not be enough to prevent a muzzle-down drop ad - I'd like to see the test. Until then, I prefer to err on the side of safety.
robalan

Post by robalan »

Interesting! I am wondering if Boomer sold his P64 to Gander Mountain after he beat it with a hammer. That could explain how that fellow that wrote on the other subject got his P64 for $149 instead of $249.
czwolf

Post by czwolf »

kurremkarm wrote:I would rather take my chances with an AD, hammer down, safety off with one in the chamber than to have to remember to take the safety off when drawing my gun against an armed foe.
Muscle Memory enough times at the range practicing and this would not be an issue. But then again as has been stated to each there own just thought I'd chime in. I love my P64 but since its not my CZ or my sig I feel fine with one in the pipe and safety on.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

If it bothers that much use a 'Wheel Gun'. I 'Thumb Cock it' as soon as it's clear, shooting being the 'ONLY REASON' I'd pull it in the first place. But, mostly if I carry a revolver it's my S&W 642, one less step. But, have carried my CA 3" Bulldog .44spl.
Last edited by rottenrick on February 27th, 2010, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Getsum92

Re: Safe Carry with chamber loaded?

Post by Getsum92 »

I carry mine DA with safety on. It's all about how you practice. I carried a Berretta 92fs for 4 years and we trained one in the pipe decocked and safety engaged it takes nothing to switch it to fire and shoot on DA. Two rounds two seconds.