Tell me this is not crazy!

Info, pictures, advice...
halljt3

Post by halljt3 »

OK so i had recently i have bought a p-64 (shot great very accurate, will prob end up being my ccw) Anyways last week i went to the only range around me that still allows handguns (99% of handgun owners are responsible, and then we have the 1% of idiots who ruins it for the for the rest of us. PISSES ME OFF>:().... Anyways getting to the point of this thread, it's a indoor range that i went to and of course you have to buy their ammo plus a 8$ range fee... the only ammo they had was Sellier & Bellot FMJ (i think i spelled that right) it was 25$ for a box of 50! Does this seem marked up to you? I still bought the ammo cause i had a itch to scratch... Today i went to my local gun shop to see what kind of selection they had for 9x18 all they had was American Eagle and that was running at a whopping 30$ for 50! needless to say i left the store empty handed. Has anybody had this kind of experience with 9x18 ammo? By the way i live in Virginia
I think i will be buying on-line until i can get a setup for hand loading.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

halljt3

don't know haven't bought any seine 2006 , don't like buying ammo , load my own and cast my own bullets , the only thing I have to buy for any of my hand gun's is primers right now
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
irishbob979

Post by irishbob979 »

I get my ammo from "ammo to go". So far it is the cheapest (Silver Bear) I have found. I buy it in 1000 round lots. I own (7) 9x18 handguns. I was at a gun show in Virginia Beach a few weeks ago and one of the vendors had Wolf 9x18 for $25 a box - stupidity knows no bounds.
Last edited by irishbob979 on January 17th, 2010, 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

it is a little on the normal side exact for a few of the more reasonable places...I used to buy by bulk (1000) online and when ever I found a local guy cheap around 11 to 13 a box would buy it..NOW I reload my own. first makes it dirt cheap, three times the fun , can tune the load ...I still have around 1000 factory stuff I save for the range I qualify at since they are not reload happy....
jbabbler

Post by jbabbler »

Just buy their ammo once and shoot your own. Every time you come back show them their ammo container full of their ammo then go in and shoot your own. You'll be out $25 once.
John has a long mustache
dom

Post by dom »

S&B FMJ runs $19.00 + tax at our local gunshop.
Gun show ammo prices around here are crazy. The very same Monarch brand 9x18 FMJ i can buy at our local Academy for $9.00 for 50 rnds. is priced at $25.00.
As already stated, online prices are much more reasonable. I like to buy here because of the $12.00 shipping for 1000 rnds.
http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/419.php
hangfire

Post by hangfire »

Yes, that IS crazy. No one should be paying $25-30 for this ammo.

Online is the way to go. J&G for instance has 9X18 Brown Bear 500s for just under $100 if you buy 2 or more. I justify shipping charges by occasionally adding other gun stuff like targets, cleaning supplies, holsters etc. to the order. Sportsman' Guide and Graf&Sons are reliable online vendors also.

Cruise some local gun shows if you have a chance. I found Brown Bear for $8 at a show in December.
stillkruzn

Post by stillkruzn »

I just bought 3 boxes of Fiocchi(sp?) at a gun show yesterday for $18/box... A little high compared to online, but not bad.... I won't shoot anymore Wolf through mine cause it seems to jam up with it...
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

I buy almost all my ammo on line. Cabela's, Sportsman's guide, J&G, Ammo to Go, Cheaper than dirt, Georgia Arms. Depends on if they have what I want. I never buy at gun shows now, those guys are lunatics if they think I'll pay those prices. But once in a great while I'll buy from a guy I've bought reloads from before. Him I trust. Locally, just to help the guys keep they're doors open I'll buy a box or two say 7.62x39 if it's cheap. If you don't buy locally once in a while they'll go out of business.
cichlid

Post by cichlid »

I usually chec for Ammo deals here,

http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php?caliber=9 ... Makarov%29
kurremkarm

Post by kurremkarm »

I picked up some silverbear at the local gunshow for 10 bucks a box, the same box at gander mountain here is 29.00. Also they are selling some p-64s with one mag for 249 dollars-- they had no spare parts.
mikeh1

Post by mikeh1 »

It's not crazy, just criminal. Most of the ammo vendors here(dirtbags) up the price big time, like Winchester 9x18 for $26. Wait until they completely bar Internet ammo sales here in CA in 2011. It'll be time to bend over and grab those ankles!

I just ordered 500 rds of Silver Bear from Military Shooters for $115. Including Shipping! Time to stock up.
kurremkarm

Post by kurremkarm »

The problem is I have already put 500 rounds through my p-64 in about a month, that is a serious ammo habit. Think i need to slow down to like 50 rounds a trip to range no more than 2 times a month.
cichlid

Post by cichlid »

kurremkarm wrote:The problem is I have already put 500 rounds through my p-64 in about a month, that is a serious ammo habit. Think i need to slow down to like 50 rounds a trip to range no more than 2 times a month.
Thats what I do. 50 9mm or Makarov every two weeks, but I take my P22 and put 200 through that.
halljt3

Post by halljt3 »

kurremkarm,

29.00 is ridiculous for Silver Bear... In VA Silver Bear JHP is 20.00 at Gander Mountain which is still absolutely ridiculous. I really would like to get into handloading I have never really looked into it what equipment would I need, any suggestions on brands, and about how much would that run me???
Thanks for all the replies.