P64 takes first prey

Info, pictures, advice...
hairypolack

P64 takes first prey

Post by hairypolack »

I was out in the desert last week with my Mosin Nagant 91/30, doing some shooting in anticipation of a probable hunting trip, when I suddenly saw a bird land on a branch of sagebrush with its back to me. I slowly lowered my rifle and reached for my P64. I snuck to the other side of the sagebrush for a better shot and froze as the bird looked right at me. I slowly cocked the hammer back (one was already in the tube), took aim and fired.

Bang

Recoil

Then a plume of feathers flew into the air and the bird disappeared. I jogged to where he was perched and found him deceased. It looked like I got him in the neck.

blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

P64 takes first prey

Post by blinddog »

Supper!!!!! :-/ :-/
eagle71

P64 takes first prey

Post by eagle71 »

hp-
How far away were you when you shot the bird?

Diff subj: Nice grips - look like Pachmayrs. Where did you get them?
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency
dom

P64 takes first prey

Post by dom »

Appears to be a morning dove, and they are good eating.
Around here we cheat and use a shotgun. :D
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

P64 takes first prey

Post by normsutton »

hairypolack

hope you ate that bird ,or it was going to do you some harm

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on September 18th, 2009, 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
jpnjross

P64 takes first prey

Post by jpnjross »

I'm not a tree hugger or with Peta. But as an avid off-roader and gun hobbist such action probably wasn't the best thing you could do for target practice. Not trying to cause a fuss Everyone needs to think before pulling the trigger.
stillkruzn

P64 takes first prey

Post by stillkruzn »

jpnjross wrote:I'm not a tree hugger or with Peta. But as an avid off-roader and gun hobbist such action probably wasn't the best thing you could do for target practice. Not trying to cause a fuss Everyone needs to think before pulling the trigger.
I would have to agree with this... to be using birds or any other animal for target practice is not cool....
fritzhund

P64 takes first prey

Post by fritzhund »

Were you hunting?

It looked out of season to me......No matter what season.

Nice kill I guess......

Fritzhund
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
rottenrick

P64 takes first prey

Post by rottenrick »

hairypolack,Fritzhund, Dove season is about to start here in Georgia, so is 'Fuzzy Tailed Tree Rat' season. Dove hunting even with a shotgun, is tough. I won't be critical about the bird, I hunt starlings and such at home. They raid other birds nests. I have 10 acres of oak forest, very little is cleared, maybe a half acre. I have a hawk nest, two owls, they keep culling the tree rats for me, even have some flying ones. They are fun to watch. I shoot some regular one's from time to time for the pot. My wife would just as soon have them all gone because of the bird feeders. But, I tell her I want them to feel safe, if times are tough, it's food. I just might try mine this season, only thing I'd worry about is damaging the what little meat there is. BTW I've seen my grandfather 'Bark' one, he was very good with guns.
Last edited by rottenrick on September 19th, 2009, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hairypolack

P64 takes first prey

Post by hairypolack »

Sorry, didn't mean to cause a fuss. I did take the guy to my uncle who picked it clean and got what he could out of it. If I knew the bird would of gone to waste I wouldn't of fired at it.
rottenrick

P64 takes first prey

Post by rottenrick »

hairypolack, I have an Mosin Nagant M-38 that is in real good shape. I bought a second military stock and modified it. I cut it down at the last barrel band towards the receiver. Used a Dremel tool, shaped the forearm into a 'Perch Belly' or a 'Scnable'. Then put a slip on recoil pad made for smaller stocks. I'm looking for a barrel slingpoint for the barrel, but I might just use the cleaning rod opening. But I'm not sure the stock could take it in the long run (it would split along the grain) but it's just a project stock anyway. On your Mosin, are you using iron sights? I may get on gun broker and order a bolt assy, sent it off to have it welded to a bent bolt, then have it head spaced to the rifle. Actually headspace it first. Total cost including gun,bolt work,pad would be maybe $185.00. Still wouldn't have lost much, be a good truck gun.
Last edited by rottenrick on September 20th, 2009, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
jpnjross

P64 takes first prey

Post by jpnjross »

hairypolack, Accept my apology for jumping to conclusions about target practice. Since the bird was taken and eaten as game I have no quarrel with you. It just sounded as if it was originally taken in poor sportsmanship. Which believe me we have more than our share of around here in southwestern Ohio. Again I apologize.
blackblade

P64 takes first prey

Post by blackblade »

Dove is good eating but you need more than one bird. The only thing salvageable is the breast but added to a bowl of rice and veggies you have a good meal for one. Just clean, roll the breast in flour and pan fry.

I did'nt dove this year because the hunting seasons are usually set after the first cold snap and the dove have gone south. I think that F&G does that on purpose tho. They like the license revenues but don't like to see hunters harvest game.

Besides, most all land surface is privately owned or leased from the BLM now and the farmers/ranchers lease it out to guides to lead out of state hunters from the left coast and east coast who are willing to pay $thousands to hunt. Sadly it's not like when I was a kid and could hunt about anywhere. And hunters groups wonder why today's kids don't go hunting anymore ... sheesh.
Last edited by blackblade on September 23rd, 2009, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dom

P64 takes first prey

Post by dom »

True enough, most people only keep the breast, but we use the whole bird. We fix the breasts several different ways, and the Mrs. makes a great dove soup using the back and legs along with fresh squash and tomatoes from the garden.
Daily limit here is 15 and the birds have been flying real good. This is from yesterday afternoon:

vermonter

P64 takes first prey

Post by vermonter »

I agree with some of the posters on here. No PeTA fan here, but if you are going to kill something, do it for a reason like eating it. To kill an animal for fun or the hell of it is a waste in my book IMHO. I am a pro hunter, but I know a guy that used to shoot squirrels from fun. I used to raise them and they are intelligent, affectionate and loving parents of their young. Some people eat em, so enjoy the hunt. Just to shoot em for fun is a waste of life and good meat! Just remember some superior alien may land some day and hunt YOU for "sport" Hehehehe :D

I said my peace... Go ahead and flame me!