Wolff Spring Issue

Info, pictures, advice...
xdcolorado

Wolff Spring Issue

Post by xdcolorado »

I ordered the following from J&G: 1 x P64 Wolff recoil spring. Extra Power (7-2140) = $7.95

I went to the range today and tried swapping it there to compare the original vs. the Wolff. The Wolf was a little shorter than the original, the opposite of another post I read where it was too long. HOWEVER, I could not get it reassembled with the Wolff. The spring fits over the barrel just fine. Put it doesn't seem to pull back far enough when I rack the slide back to reset it. I had one of the instructors at the range give it a shot too. He couldn't get it to seat either. It seats fine without the spring or with the original.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any solutions? Or should I just return it to J&G?
xdcolorado

Wolff Spring Issue

Post by xdcolorado »

SORRY! I just noticed I should have posted this in the Mods/Fixes section...ooops!!!!
chuwee81

Wolff Spring Issue

Post by chuwee81 »

i had the same thing happened when i tried to do it at home. According to a lot of members here, the solution is as simple as sanding down the end (face) of the spring. I will try it when i have time and show the results.
conscript47

Wolff Spring Issue

Post by conscript47 »

The Wolff spring is too long... springs have two fixed lengths, their length when not compressed and when compressed. It is shorter when fully extended, but not when compressed.

Easy solution... grind, file, sand down both rounded ends of the spring until they are flat. I just did this two days ago for my 64 when I swapped the springs.
xdcolorado

Wolff Spring Issue

Post by xdcolorado »

thanks I'll give it a try! I know it's shorter when uncompressed that's why I thought there was no way it would be "too long"!!!! Wow, that's really odd. I'll give it a shot and see what happens...thanks!