Which recoil spring and hammer spring?

Info, pictures, advice...
dgposton

Post by dgposton »

I just ordered my first P-64 from J and G Sales. This gun is for my wife. She liked the PPK look.

I've been reading that the P-64 has horrendous recoil (is this true?) and so I ordered an extra power recoil spring (22 lb) from J and G:

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php ... ts_id/3371

and a reduced power hammer spring to make the hammer easier to cock:

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php ... ts_id/3372

(they didn't specify the weight)

Now, after reading a couple threads on recoil spring mods, I see that the 22 spring must be undergo modification to fit. Is that true? Should I cancel my order and get some different springs direct from Wolf or another retailer?

Tell me what I should do.

thanks
David
donnerwetter58

Post by donnerwetter58 »

The modification to the 22 lb spring is flattening the end coils to reduce the overall length. Some guns will take the spring with no modification. Try it in your gun first.
The most common combination seems to be the 20 lb. recoil spring with the 18 lb. hammer spring.
The recoil is unbelievable and windows rattle miles away when you fire a P-64. The mushroom cloud muzzle blast will blind you for days so don't forget your welding goggles.
Seriously though, if you have centerfire handgun experience, the recoil won't be a issue.
Have fun.
Dave
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Donnie, cute, real cute, you forgot rivers flowing up stream, and earth rotating backwards.
dgposton

Post by dgposton »

donnerwetter58 wrote:The modification to the 22 lb spring is flattening the end coils to reduce the overall length. Some guns will take the spring with no modification. Try it in your gun first.
The most common combination seems to be the 20 lb. recoil spring with the 18 lb. hammer spring.
The recoil is unbelievable and windows rattle miles away when you fire a P-64. The mushroom cloud muzzle blast will blind you for days so don't forget your welding goggles.
Seriously though, if you have centerfire handgun experience, the recoil won't be a issue.
Have fun.
Dave
Is there a pic of what the spring looks like flattened and unflattened? How much know-how and equipment is need to do this? (I don't have any other electric equipment except for a cordless drill).

Do most people go withthe 20 lb recoil spring to avoid the grinding process, or because somehow the 22 lb spring has a disadvantage (maybe the slide won't cycle right)?
Last edited by dgposton on May 25th, 2009, 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
donnerwetter58

Post by donnerwetter58 »

Considering this is for your wife you may want the 20 over the 22 lb spring. It's easier to cycle the slide with the lighter spring.
The 18 lb hammer spring should be reliable with most ammo.
The single action can be light but I've never found it a problem.
You can get a set of 3 hammer springs (18, 19, 20) from Wolff
Order both recoil springs and you have a choice.
Flattening the end coils consist of grinding, sanding or filing the last half turn or so of the spring ends. You can take about half the wire diameter from each end. This will create a shorter compressed length and allow reassembly of the gun.
dgposton

Post by dgposton »

donnerwetter58 wrote:Considering this is for your wife you may want the 20 over the 22 lb spring. It's easier to cycle the slide with the lighter spring.
The 18 lb hammer spring should be reliable with most ammo.
The single action can be light but I've never found it a problem.
You can get a set of 3 hammer springs (18, 19, 20) from Wolff
Order both recoil springs and you have a choice.
Flattening the end coils consist of grinding, sanding or filing the last half turn or so of the spring ends. You can take about half the wire diameter from each end. This will create a shorter compressed length and allow reassembly of the gun.
Ok, so it's the 20 lb recoil spring then. Does it make a big difference in lessening recoil compared to the stock spring?

One question on reducing the hammer spring: Will it cause the single action to be lighter, or will it only affect the double action? Honestly, I only plan to shoot the gun in single action mode. I just thought a lighter main spring would make it easier for my wife to cock the hammer. I don't want a SUPER light single action, as she may use this as a carry gun.

Finally, one MORE question: I have heard rumors that the mag can only fit 5 rounds and that the 6th round is a bear to squeeze in there. Is this true?

thanks for the help!

Dave
Last edited by dgposton on May 25th, 2009, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ender

Post by ender »

i highly recommend that 18 lb hammer spring , though caring in a holster with the hammer back is a scary thought for me, as the safety disengages the hammer so the only thing keeping your/her gun from going off is the light (single action) trigger pull. your choice but i wouldn't want to be standing next to you. That 18lb spring is the answer to any little problem i had with this awesome gun.

and about the magazine thing, i don't think its a "bear to put in the last (6th) round in. its a two hand operation either way but i wouldn't say i have a monster amount of strength and i have little difficulty.
ogdengunner

Post by ogdengunner »

I just came back from the range Saturday. I fire mine stock and have adjusted to the recoil, but for your wife it is probably a good idea to go with the lighter springs. As far as the magazines go, loading six is not really an issue. The real question is how many rounds do you plan on shooting at a time. I have two magazines and find if I want to go through a box of 50, after the second or third reload, it gets to be hard on my fingers. Your best bet is a reloader, as has been stated elsewhere. In lieu of that, if possible, purchase some extra magazines. If you go to the range with several preloaded, it will help save reload time.
Last edited by ogdengunner on May 25th, 2009, 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richymak

Post by richymak »

I get 6 in the mags no problem.I have the 22 lbs. spring and It went right on ( what grinding?). It is a little hefty to rack but I had no cycling problems,even with JHP's.
I did have to go with the 20 lbs. hammer spring in my 1975 cause the mag would intermittently drop out on the last round.
I progressively went up from 18 and they got less and less till I went with 20 lbs.
The last range time It did not drop at all.
But, as I stated,My new 1970 I got from J and G seems to feel the same as this re-spring-ed 1975 so I am going to leave this ones hammer spring alone.
I might change the recoil to 22 lbs. the next time I order from wolf,But I didn't really notice much difference.
Congrats on the p-64.

Rich
dgposton

Post by dgposton »

ogdengunner wrote: I just came back from the range Saturday. I fire mine stock and have adjusted to the recoil, but for your wife it is probably a good idea to go with the lighter springs.
You mean the HEAVIER one? I guess it's a dilemma between less recoil with the 22 lb and being easier to rack the slide with the 20 lb.

Now how does all this compare to my Glock 19? It's my one and only and fav pistol so far. No problem with recoil or racking the slide. My wife loves it.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

dgposton wrote:
ogdengunner wrote: I just came back from the range Saturday. I fire mine stock and have adjusted to the recoil, but for your wife it is probably a good idea to go with the lighter springs.
You mean the HEAVIER one? I guess it's a dilemma between less recoil with the 22 lb and being easier to rack the slide with the 20 lb.

Now how does all this compare to my Glock 19? It's my one and only and fav pistol so far. No problem with recoil or racking the slide. My wife loves it.
He means lighter if talking about the hammer spring.

Six rounds in these mags is a walk in the park - they're dead-easy to load.

Best not to carry this gun cond 1 - wouldn't want you to hurt yourself. Yes, the lower powered mainsprings reduce the SA trigger pull.

How does it compare to a G19?
It doesn't. The P64 has sharper corners, more felt recoil, a much harder trigger pull (in DA), smaller sights, less capacity, no external controls for slide release or mag release.
...and I love it.

If my wife loved the Glock, I wouldn't set her up with a P64 - they're too different.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Never owned a Glock, fired my son's quite a bit. Just can't get past the plastic. Even my son likes his 'Baby Eagle' in .40 S&W more, and so do I. Never said a word to him about it, let him make up his own mind. It's kind'a like cars, women and underwear. There's no accounting for taste, what FEELS right right to you.
donnerwetter58

Post by donnerwetter58 »

The P-64 is a much safer option. P-64 carry in cond 1 wouldn't be much worse than the Glock with one in the chamber. I would never carry the P-64 "cocked and unlocked" and I would never carry a Glock either.
The P-64 is very slim and easy to conceal.
The stiff double action pull of the P-64 makes it as safe as any revolver. Even with the 18 lb hammer spring the double action pull is stiff compared to revolvers.
The P-64 gives you the option of safety / decocker engaged which disconects the trigger with the hammer down.
If a Glock scores a 10 in safety, a P-64 should score a 90.
When you get the P-64, take it out for a shake down. Then determine what mods, if any , you desire.
My girlfriend really enjoys the P-64. It fits her hand well and the recoil isn't an issue for her with factory loaded or handloaded ammo. The 18 lb hammer spring is about her limit for double action pull. She has no issues with the light single action pull. She can rack the slide with the 20 lb recoil spring.
The other P-64 with the 19 hammer / 22 recoil combination is beyond what she is comfortable with.
I percieve no difference in felt recoil between the 20 and 22 lb springs.
dgposton

Post by dgposton »

Does lightening the hammer spring make it easier to cock the hammer with your thumb? This is main purpose I am interested in it. I don't see myself ever using the gun double action mode, only in single. I just want to make sure my wife can comfortably cock it with one hand (as well as rack the slide with two).
doyle

Post by doyle »

My first P-64 got the 18lb spring. It was perfect. However, my 2nd P-64 was still way to stiff double-action with the 18lb spring. I dropped down to a 17lb and it feels nice. DA pull is still a little stiff but SA pull is very sweet. No mag dropping or FTF yet so I think I'm dialed in good.

Bottom line is you may have to experiment a little.