WELCOME THREAD AND MEM, INFO

Info, pictures, advice...
Texsun52

Re: WELCOME THREAD AND MEM, INFO

Post by Texsun52 »

Hello all, I just discovered this site and am just recently a proud owner of my second P-64. First one got stolen about 12 years ago. I enjoy and admire the older eastern block weapons, and I recently acquired a M44 Mosin and I decided to make the next addition another P-64. I look forward to all the good information and the appreciation of a fine weapon that I have seen in these forums.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Welcome aboard Texsun52. Sorry to hear about the loss of your 1st o e. They say your never forget your first. Glad you got another and found us.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Tex
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Welcome to the forum guys!
bcurren

Post by bcurren »

Hello all. Just bought a p64 about a week ago as my ccw. For the price it can't be beat. i use a DeSantis sof-tuc and it seems to work pretty good. I hope I can glean some information on the weapon. I have already installed the Wolff recoil (22#) and trigger (18#) springs. I also bought the 17# trigger spring but i thought i'd try the 18 first.
I haven't had a chance to take it out to the range this week some time.

My other ccw is a FMK 9mm but the p64 rides a lot better.

I also enjoy taking my rifles out and making noise with them.

Current inventory :
No4mk1 Enfield
Yugo M48A Mauser
M44 Mosin Nagant
M44 Mosin Nagant sporter (My winter project)

Regards
Brion
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Welcome to the fold Brion. You should be able to find any information about the P-64 here that you seek as the Brotherhood is extremely well informed. And pictures are good.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Brion.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
stand watie

Post by stand watie »

New Friends,

HOWDY from THE ALAMO CITY of Texas.

Discovered this forum & joined in NOV15, but have been inactive, as I've been dealing with numerous family members who are quite ill.

Bought my first P64 about 2 weeks ago from http://www.classicfirearms.com, after a long chat with a VERY NICE LADY there by phone. I then ordered a pistol for "off duty carry", as I'm about to be a Deputy Constable here Bexar County, after about 10 years of being "fully retired". - I will be primarily doing Emergency Preparedness Planning for the office.
(The lady said that she would ASSURE that I got a NICE pistol & she is 100% correct. = It LOOKS nearly new, with the exception of a very small amount of bluing wear at the muzzle. - I suspect that it was carried but seldom, if ever, fired.)

Later today I will install the spring that I bought from the W.C. Wolff Company, as the DA pull is AWFUL & the SA pull is "barely acceptable". - One hopes that that modification will help a GREAT DEAL with both trigger squeezes.

NICE FORUM, too.

yours, sw
(My friends call me: tex)
USAMPC, Retired
"VICTORY OR DEATH"
William Barret Travis
Lt. Col., comdt.
Fortress of the Alamo, Bejar
Fby 24th 1836
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome back Tex.

Show us some pics of your beauty
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Tex welcome back. I am glad you got a.nice example and pictures are appreciated. However I have one question. You say the SA pull is "barely acceptable". Why is that? Most people on the board seem to find it very nice bordering on too light. Just curious what your opinion is.
And my friends just call me. Sometimes. Sorta..........
stand watie

Post by stand watie »

Ketchman,

OK, so I'm "spoiled to" shooting my S&W Model 12 (which lives on my belt, anytime that I'm wearing trousers) & my treasured Sig-Sauer P6. = BOTH have been "worked on" by a talented police armorer, have LIGHT DA/SA "pulls" & that "break like glass".

ImVho, the SA "pull" on the P64 is TOO HEAVY & does NOT "break" acceptably. = I'm guessing over 10#.
(When I went to the police academy LONG AGO, we were taught to take a covered/concealed sitting/kneeling position, if possible, & make ONE perfect killing shot per bad guy. Hardly any LEO then had a >8 shot semi-auto pistol & NONE of us relied on "spray & pray", as is all too common today. = The SA "pull" on my Model 27 S&W .357MAG was REALLY LIGHT.)

Note: I've NOT yet been able to reassemble my P64, after trying to install a 18# hammer spring. - Cannot compress the spring enough to get it back together. = :(
(I'm going to get someone with MUCH stronger hands to do the task, SOON.)

yours, tex
"VICTORY OR DEATH"
William Barret Travis
Lt. Col., comdt.
Fby 24th 1836
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Thanks for the reply sir. I myself find the SA pull almost too light but I have swapped out the hammer spring for a 17# spring. But the factory spec is just over 4lbs if I am correct. Personally I like my Sig 220's SA very much and it was what I carried a lot when I did contract securoty. I also like my Daewoo DP51very much. I carried an S&W model 10 6" heavy barrel when I worked as an armed courier. It had a smooth pull in SA mode that I would guess was around 4-5 lbs.
Let us know how the change to the 18# spring goes.
stand watie

Post by stand watie »

Ketchman,

WILCO.

Btw, for those readers who wanted photos, I have neither a camera NOR the knowledge of how to post a photo if I had one.
(Somehow, I don't think that my old Brownie Kodak is what I need.)

Speaking of the Model 10 S&W, I'd really like to find another "pencil barrel" Model 64 like the one that I had when I was a rookie deputy in the early 1970s.
(I was first appointed a Deputy Constable in Arkansas, when I was 4 days past my 19th birthday in 1966 & in college, as I wasn't old enough to be a Deputy Sheriff.)

Note: I got paid FIFTY bucks a month & got a county credit card to pay for the gas/oil/tires for my personal car.
(I thought that I was RICH to have that 50.oo. = Jobs for college kids were few & far between where I went to school.)

My first LE handgun was a PRE-WWII S&W .38SPL, which was prior to the designation, "Model 10". My mother bought the old S&W revolver, a set of handcuffs, a holster/gunbelt & about 20 .38SPL shells for FORTY BUCKS for me, as I was too young to buy a handgun.

In case anyone is interested, I spent most of my time as a (VERY JUNIOR) county peace officer finding/returning strayed, lost & stolen livestock in the VERY "rural" precinct 3 & chasing livestock thieves.

yours, satx
"VICTORY OR DEATH"
William Barret Travis
Lt. Col., comdt.
Fby 24th 1836
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Tex, I am hoping I may call you that, your comment about the Brownie is quite funny, and of course your dating yourself, and me because I understood it. I bet many of our members would not get the reference. And oddly enough my oldest boy most likely would know how to get pics from said Brownie posted here. :lol:
At any rate, you sounds as if you have a wealth of knowldge and experience that will benifit many of us and I am glad your with us.

your humble servant,
stand watie

Post by stand watie »

Ketchman,

YEP. You certainly may call me "Tex", as most of my friends do.

WHAT really dates me is thinking that 50.oo was a LOT of $$$$$$ & that receiving that much from the county made me FEEL "rich".
(Believe it or not, at the university that I attended the total tuition & fees was 550.oo per semester for a "full load".)

Incidentally, I was issued a (seized from a "jack-lighter") double-barrel 12 gauge Parker shotgun & a "tin star" by the county as the totality of my "police equipment", as the county was not much richer than I was.
(Finally in JAN69, I received a "surplused off" 2-channel low-band GE radio from the Sanitation Department, which always had "a lingering odor of garbage truck", so that I could communicate with "County Central Dispatch". - Until then, I used pay phones to "call in".)

Btw, my peace officer's "uniform" then was a khaki work shirt, a baseball cap, gun-belt (with tin star attached), work boots & blue jeans.
(I was considered to be "suitably uniformed" wearing that outfit. That in itself should tell you how "rural" that my "beat" was. BUT my job kept me housed & "in beans & bacon" anyway".= CHUCKLE)

The younger generations have NO CLUE about how "primitive" that the 1960s were when compared to 2016.

It's GOOD to have found this forum, btw.

yours, satx
"VICTORY OR DEATH"
William Barret Travis
Lt. Col., comdt.
Fby 24th 1836