Jamming problem

Info, pictures, advice...
cutigerz

Jamming problem

Post by cutigerz »

I shot my P64 for the 1st time today. Had a serious jamming problem. Only shot about 30 rounds.
Got tired of having to clear a jam every clip. I bought it used and it is in good condition. I was using Wolf 95 gr ammo. havent' replaced any springs yet. any suggestions.

Thanks,
Mark
barnett3006

Jamming problem

Post by barnett3006 »

first off, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear about your jamming issues, but we need specifics on what kind of jam/what is happening when it jams in order to help you better :)
cutigerz

Jamming problem

Post by cutigerz »

The problem I was having was as the next round was fed into the chamber, the subsequent round in the clip was advancing to far into the breach. At least this is what I think was causing the problem.

Thanks,
Mark
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Jamming problem

Post by normsutton »

cutigerz

welcome

did you clean the gun inside and out before you shot the gun, if you didn't take the slide and the grips off and thoroughly clean the gun then clean it again, take apart the mag and clean it and get some different ammo

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
cutigerz

Jamming problem

Post by cutigerz »

Thanks for the feedback Norm.

I've done some preliminary cleaning. I do have some other ammo to use. The P64 that I have is a 1967 model. As I stated earlier, I bought it used. If this weapon was repeated bought and sold used, the previous owners over the last 40 years may have never changed out the recoil spring. I know over time these components can start to lose resiliency. Could this be a potential problem?

I've only had the pleasure of shooting family members rifles and shotguns that were all relatively "new" and properly maintained. These were never 2nd hand weapons or the age of this pistol.

just a thought.

Thanks again
Mark
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Jamming problem

Post by garry »

Were you using older, or newer Wolf Ammo? They made a bullet shape change a while back. Is that the Military Classic Wolf? or the black box stuff? I have had no trouble with any of the ammo (all brands) in the P-64 pistol. I made a few handloaded bullets that i had to seat further in because they would not fit in the magazines. are the magazine feed-lips in good shape? any dents/bends? Under close inspection, are the lips spread apart consistently across the top? Did you try another magazine(s)? it kind of sounds like the front of the lips are spread too far apart on that mag. Even a little bit of "extra" seperation can cause the front /back of the next cartridge to extend further up and protrude into the path of the "bolt" as it comes back forward.
If you have a second(or 3rd,4th,etc..) magazine, I would try that FIRST, with the same ammo you were using before. That will quickly answer the "Cartridge or the Mag" question. I hope this helps, and Please post back and let us know how the magazine looks. Thanks, Good luck. G
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Jamming problem

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Cutigerz,
Plus one with Norm on this one, the storage oil was never meant to be used in the pistol for shooting. I had the vary same problem with my first P-64, took Norms advise and pulled the pistol apart and gave it a good cleaning fallowed up with breakfree oil and gun grease application and never looked back.
G.R.

Jamming problem

Post by 8080 »

After I cleaned my P-64 as the guys describe I also polished the feed ramp which improved reliability.....a clip is what they use in a mauser rifle & M1 gerrand & a magazine is what we feed the p-64 with....80-80
retiredsailor

Jamming problem

Post by retiredsailor »

:o I am also a new P-64 owner. When I first fired it at the range, I also experienced jamming, but only with a full mag of 6rds. However, this problem dimished as I shot more rounds. What I experienced was the slide did not go all the way into battery when I did it like my Beretta M9.....pull it back and let it return on its own.

After I read this message board, I cleaned my p-64 again. It did wonderfully in the magazine feed aspect. And even though the DA is tuff, at least it's tuff consisently. I think I bought one that must have sat in a warehouse for 34 years! Mine's a 1974.

I was astonished at the accuracy. I shot only 48 rounds (like I was requaling in the Navy); at 3, 7, 15 and 25 yards.....let's just say the center bullseye on the target was almost cut out. I had a few shots stray from the frustration of the DA, but all 48 rds were somwhere on that target.

I like this little pistol for it's size. I am CCW holder and this is nice for carrying in my pants/shorts pockets. Not my favorite gun I own, but I like it for what it is.

I do want to thank everyone on here for the cleaning tips. I shot it again today with no troubles whatsoever.

This is a fun gun to shoot, but I couldn't do it all day. The recoil is akin to a .357 Magnum.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Jamming problem

Post by manicmechanic »

Welcome retiredsailor!! It is a handful to hang onto for sure. After some spring changes mine came around real nice as far as recoil and a better D/A.
Again welcome ABOARD!!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Jamming problem

Post by normsutton »

retiredsailor

yes welcome

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Jamming problem

Post by blinddog »

Welcome aboard retiredsailor, we are pleased that you are here. I think you can get the answer to any problem you have with a P-64 here.
creekycharlie

Jamming problem

Post by creekycharlie »

I am having the same jamming problem. I was using the "Classic Wolf" ammo. I will try different ammo and I will try just 5 rounds and I will clean again. Thanks to one and all for the info.
creekycharlie
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Jamming problem

Post by manicmechanic »

Welcome creekycharlie!! It won't be long before you get it running at 100%. A little extra cleaning here, and possibly a little spring change there and you'll have her set. Good luck and again WELCOME!!
ourbigbluehouse

Jamming problem

Post by ourbigbluehouse »

I don't know if you have the same problem that I do. After changing the recoil spring to a stiffer one, I have to make sure that I pull the slide all the way back or the first round will jam on feeding. The magazine then has to be removed and the round cleared. Sometimes that isn't an easy procedure. I keep everything polished and well oiled so I'm hoping it is the spring and I remember what I need to do.