Jamming problem

Info, pictures, advice...
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Jamming problem

Post by blinddog »

You may want to do 1 of 2 things. Check you feed ramp and see if there is a ridge or a rough edge on the ramp. If you do you may want to take some real fine sand paper and gently rub the area until it is smooth, this takes some time and just a little of elbow work. Or, you may even want to find some round ball ammo that works good, I like lellier and Bellot, Winchester is pretty good but it shoots dirty or what ever works for you. Shoot the crap out of your P-64 because it might just need to be broken it. (Don't take very much off your ramp if you do want to polish it. It doesn't take much to get it right.) :) this is IMHO others can tell you lots more than me. :)
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Jamming problem

Post by normsutton »

creekycharlie

welcome

99% of the time cleaning of gun or mag is the problem , and trying to shoot over a 95 grn bullet

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
retiredsailor

Jamming problem

Post by retiredsailor »

Good news...........I fixed my jamming problem. Clean, clean, clean, and clean. My problem was a fairly dirty feed ramp. Cleaned it with solvent, light touch with some valve lapping paper, light coat of gun oil......and voila! Feeds perfectly. And my inconsitent DA......had to clean underneath the trigger bar and the disconnector, still had a little cosmolin there.

Ain't "new" toys great??

Thanks guys
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Jamming problem

Post by normsutton »

retiredsailor

Ain't "new" toys great?? yes they are

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
BeoBill

Re: Jamming problem

Post by BeoBill »

I also had the jamming problem described above. I clean my P64 after each session, so that wasn't it. I changed the recoil spring out to a Wolff 20# - helped with the recoil, but no joy. I then dropped back to loading five rounds, and some success. Then I read an OP's post about not slamming the mag into the gun, and that got me thinking. So I tried the gentle approach, as well as tapping the mag rear on the bench before inserting it to line the rounds up uniformly fully aft (I noticed there's some play in the loaded rounds' position). That seemed to cure the problem - no jams in 500 rounds so far.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Don't know if you've cleaned the mag out, they do have cosmo at times. Give that a try also.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

BeoBill wrote:I also had the jamming problem described above. I clean my P64 after each session, so that wasn't it.
Well, there's cleaning and then there's CLEANING! A bit of solvent, a cleaning patch a rod, a rag and done is great for periodic maintenance. But on some of these old pistols, especially these that had a lot of lacquer-coated, steel-cased ammo run through them, a light cleaning isn't enough.

A GOOD, thorough cleaning of the entire gun, inside frame and barrel to get the LAST bit of built-up lacquer residue can work wonders. Clean and polish the feed ramp and don't discount ammo. The ONLY problem I have experienced across 6 pistols including 1968, 1972, 75 and 77 vintages was an odd one. I had good results with Wolf WPA in the black box. But ... same gun(s) would hiccup with Silver Bear.

WPA has the "polyformance" coating and Silver Bear has a zinc coating. All else is exactly the same. Why did one have problems and the other didn't? I have no idea. And neither has anyone I've posed the question to. So, can the coating on a round make a difference? Guess it can. But those guns are clean!!! :shock:
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke