Classic has em cheap!

Info, pictures, advice...
kdwright5407

Re: Classic has em cheap!

Post by kdwright5407 »

I'll read thru that, but the beginning was talking about cosmo. My pistol came really clean. I took the slide off and the mechanical were oiled, but appear cosmoline free...so I didn't take it apart aside from the slide.

I sent an email to Classic to see what they recommend. I don't want to hold onto it for too long and to do too much to it, only to find out it still doesn't work, but have held onto it too long and have done too much to it to send it back.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Try the pencil test to see if the firing pin is working. Unload, really unload, FULLY unload the pistol, then take a standard #2 yellow type (other colors will work) pencil, put it down the barrel eraser first, hold the pistol upright, then pull the trigger and see if the pencil fly's out the barrel. If it does, then the firing pin is present and working as intended. If it does not, then there is trouble there. Maybe cosmoline is causing less than full and complete travel of the firing pin, or it could be missing, or........ But it is quick and easy to try. Just remember, make sure the piece is un-loa-ded! :wink:
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
kdwright5407

Post by kdwright5407 »

I took the trigger assembly apart last night and it was clean. The firing pin mechanisms looks clean as well, but I can't find great instructions on taking that part apart yet and haven't tried it yet. I have pushed on the firing pin and it seems to free of cosmoline, since it moves relatively easily. I'm going to try exchanging it with Classic in hopes of getting one equally as nice for the "good" quality and hoping that one will fire out of the box (once cleaned if needed...the only places I have seen any on this one is in the nooks and crannies people wouldn't think to clean).
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Firing pin removal vid here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCHgwc0GGa0
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Not trying to be a smarta** here, but did you try what Ketchman said? The pencil in the barrel will let you know if the firing pin is striking whatever is in the chamber area. Saying "My gun won't fire" is kinda broad.

Did you pull the trigger, do you have a round loaded? See those are REALLY STUPID questions and kinda broad. But they'd also answer why the gun doesn't fire.... Is the safety off?

Gun might be fine and the FP isn't striking the bullet. Was the primer dented or marked at all? Pencil test will tell you. Simple but effective. This might save you the time, shipping and $$$ to swap the gun. What's to lose?
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
kdwright5407

Post by kdwright5407 »

robhic wrote:Not trying to be a smarta** here, but did you try what Ketchman said? The pencil in the barrel will let you know if the firing pin is striking whatever is in the chamber area. Saying "My gun won't fire" is kinda broad.

Did you pull the trigger, do you have a round loaded? See those are REALLY STUPID questions and kinda broad. But they'd also answer why the gun doesn't fire.... Is the safety off?

Gun might be fine and the FP isn't striking the bullet. Was the primer dented or marked at all? Pencil test will tell you. Simple but effective. This might save you the time, shipping and $$$ to swap the gun. What's to lose?
Fair enough. I was at the range and loaded magazine with TulAmmo rounds. With the safety engaged, I inserted the magazine and and pulled the slide back, clambering the first of six rounds. I flipped the safety latch and with the pistol aimed down range, pulled the trigger. Click. No bang. I then pulled the slide back and the round was not ejecting and the slide jammed. I could not remove the magazine. I ended up having to remove the slide before I could eject the round and remove the magazine. Upon inspection of the round, there was no indication that the firing pin even touched the primer. I then replaced the slide and tried the other mag, same issue. I tried single and double action along with both magazines. There was never any indication that the firing pin stuck the primer. I even made the mistake of dry firing it with the the slide off, and had to borrow a screwdriver and reset the trigger bar. All of that while at the range.

I am sending the pistol back and trying to get an exchange. I am in the military and don't have time to sit on a potentially non-working firearm for a month (I go on a month long TDY next week) and risk having it too long to send back. I'm hoping to get the exchange squared away within a week and hopefully try a new one next weekend. Hope that doesn't sound unreasonable. I'm going to have to explain thing well to Classic.

I'll also try the pencil trick today...
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Look forward to your results. I am wondering if your safety is fully rotating to the fire position, if it is not it would keep the hammer from being able to strike to primer, causing lack of detonation, frustration, bad words, yada yada yada. Other wise all I can think of is the firing pin having a cosmo buildup inside the firing pin channel keeping it from getting forward enough. Has happened before. Good luck and thank you for serving. :D7
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Ketchman wrote:Look forward to your results. I am wondering if your safety is fully rotating to the fire position, if it is not it would keep the hammer from being able to strike to primer, causing lack of detonation, frustration, bad words, yada yada yada. Other wise all I can think of is the firing pin having a cosmo buildup inside the firing pin channel keeping it from getting forward enough. Has happened before. Good luck and thank you for serving. :D7
Again, good advice. As to the first part, have you (with the slide off), pushed the actual firing pin forward and looked to see if it emerges out the front of the enclosure about 3/4"? With the back of the FP exposed you should be able to push it from between the two prongs (for lack of a better term) of the safety assembly and it'll stick out the front of the enclosure it rides in. This is the part that rotates to block the FP when the safety is rotated to the 'SAFE' position. No marks at all on the primers concerns me. I hate to say it but I'm wondering if it could be a worn/broken FP itself. I think I remember seeing a post here somewhere where the FP was bent or broken. That could suck. A lot! :( Just for kicks, is it going ALL the way into battery? And what is the result of the "pencil test" when you give it a try?

I really hope you can figure what's causing the problem or Classic treats you right with a swap. Like Ketchman, I, too, thank you for your service! Good luck!
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
kdwright5407

Post by kdwright5407 »

All right gents...I just tested the pencil. It flew 8-10 feet. That was actually kind of fun. The firing pin obviously protrudes. It did move fairly easily when manually pushing on the FP thru the safety prong thingys. Now that you mention not going into battery, that could have been the issue. You have jogged a memory (I was, hot, sweaty, and embarrassed at the range and didn't think too much of it at the time)...I now remember the slide not going as forward with a round chambered as it does without. Also, rounds never did eject. Maybe the issue is within the slide/ejector components?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

What brand of ammo were you using?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
kdwright5407

Post by kdwright5407 »

TulAmmo 9mm Makarov 92 Gr FMJ Steel Case
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Check the extractor hook and make sure it moves freely. If not it could provide enough resistance to prevent the slide from going into battery.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

kdwright5407 wrote: Now that you mention not going into battery, that could have been the issue. You have jogged a memory (I was, hot, sweaty, and embarrassed at the range and didn't think too much of it at the time)...
HA! Don't feel bad. Reason I mentioned that is because I got "caught" on the very same issue! I had a pistol that just would not fire. Even wrote an entire, whiny post about it here! Someone mentioned going into battery and BINGO! next trip that did it. Quick cleaning and all is fine now. I think the post is "put on your thinking caps" or something like that from a couple of months ago. Hope that helps.
- Robert

Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

This is Robs post of which he speaks.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5728
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Bought P-64 and Bulgarian Mak. Godis good! Great price!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."