Frozen safety.

Info, pictures, advice...
bear34

Frozen safety.

Post by bear34 »

Was rough to begin with but now frozen in safety off position.

HELP!!!
fully machined

Re: Frozen safety.

Post by fully machined »

Hey, We are here. That is not uncommon. The hammer rides over the safety barrel and "pins" it in place. Take the slide off and if safety is still hard to rotate there is great info here on safety removal. I would not recommend trying to get the safety too loose as it will loosen up with shooting and manipulation. I had one that I moved to safe and back and thought I was going to break the safety arm off until take down and clean up.
Hypnotoad

Post by Hypnotoad »

I just removed my safety and polished the safety detent that tensions it. It's still it little stiff but huge improvement - I can now decock with just my thumb.

There's a video on how to remove the safety using forceps to lock the firing pin out of the way. I don't have forceps but was able to remove and reinstall the safety with enough futzing. It's conceptually very simple but takes some dexterity to accomplish without the forceps.
bear34

Post by bear34 »

Hypnotoad wrote:I just removed my safety and polished the safety detent that tensions it. It's still it little stiff but huge improvement - I can now decock with just my thumb.

There's a video on how to remove the safety using forceps to lock the firing pin out of the way. I don't have forceps but was able to remove and reinstall the safety with enough futzing. It's conceptually very simple but takes some dexterity to accomplish without the forceps.

Do you know where I can find the video link?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

There is a link to the vid in this post.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4365
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

bear34, here is a link to my video using the forceps.

US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
bear34

Post by bear34 »

A big thanks to everyone. I removed and rounded the safety detent pin with a Dremel and now it works beautifully.
spareparts

Post by spareparts »

Hi all, p64 newbie here. And I have a problem with the safety. Just got my pistol today (my FIRST C&R!), and the safety is locked in the safety on position. Can budge it maybe a 1/16 of an inch. That's it. Any advice?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum.

Does it work with the slide removed.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
spareparts

Post by spareparts »

No, it didn't work after I removed the slide. I eventually took a pair and needle nose pliers and applied a little encouragement to the safety. Finally got it to move. Looks like Ill need to do the detent mod y'all are describing. And get a new trigger spring.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Sounds good let us know how it turns out.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
spareparts

Post by spareparts »

Finally got around to Rounding off the safety detent. Works just fine, now. How In the world did the poles deal with these safeties??? Never use them, perhaps?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I would say there was some lacking Quality Control/Assurance some where along the line on occasion letting them slip out the door with rough safeties.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
hawkeye_9947

Post by hawkeye_9947 »

My p64 locks the safety to safe after decocking the gun, it will free up after playing with it awhile. I am looking into it. It is a nice gun and otherwise perfect in to m and function. I will try the steps described above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk